What’s With All These People Suddenly Trying To Breach Security At US Military Bases?

Analysis
A screenshot from bystander video showing a burning vehicle outside the main gate of Travis Air Force Base in California on March 22, 2018
Facebook/@AirForceForum

A Colorado man was arrested on April 3 after attempting to enter Peterson Air Force, home of U.S. Northern Command and NORAD, in what law enforcement officials characterized as a “minivan loaded with propane tanks” — the latest in a series of bizarre security incidents involving military installations across the United States in recent months.


El Paso County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Jacqueline Kirby told Air Force Times that the suspect in Tuesday’s incident barricaded himself inside his vehicle amid a “mental health crisis,” and that police did not identify any “explosive material” beyond propane tanks strapped to the van’s roof when the vehicle was stopped a half-mile away from Peterson AFB’s north gate.

But the incident came less than two weeks after 51-year-old Hafiz Kazi, a legal immigrant from India who has lived in the United States since 1993, drove a burning vehicle loaded with propane tanks and one-gallon containers of gas to the main gate of Travis Air Force Base in California. (The FBI told Task & Purpose that there was no evidence to suggest any connection to overseas terror groups.)

Related: No Evidence So Far That Burning Wreck At Travis Air Force Base Was A Terrorist Attack, FBI Says »

Indeed, several military installations across the continental U.S. have endured alarming threats or attacks of various intensity in recent months:

  • On February 14, three men managed to breach a gate that leads to the National Security Agency’s main complex at Fort Meade, Maryland — the Army base that’s home to the NSA, U.S Cyber Command, and Defense Information Systems Agency. Authorities said there was no terror connection.
  • On February 22, an unidentified man rolled up at the front gate to Naval Base Kitsap in Washington State, claiming that both his SUV and his body were loaded with explosives. The idiot was immediately apprehended, but it’s worth noting that Kitsap is home to the DoD’s single largest arsenal of strategic nuclear weapons, as well as its single largest fuel depot; a month later, the Trump administration would announce the closure of the Russian consulate in nearby Seattle, explicitly due to its proximity to the installation.
  • On February 28, first responders rushed to Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall in Virginia after an “envelope containing an unknown substance” ended up sickening at least 11 personnel with symptoms ranging from burning sensations to nosebleeds. The letter, “described as irate, and at times unintelligible” according to Time magazine, was reportedly addressed to the base’s commanding officer.
  • On March 27th, federal law enforcement officials arrested 43-year-old Thanh Cong Phan on suspicion of sending several suspicious packages containing explosive materials to multiple military installations in the Washington area, including Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling; Fort McNair; Fort Belvoir; and the Dahlgren Naval Surface Warfare Center. Law enforcement officials described Phan to Fox News as “emotionally disturbed and no stranger to federal and local authorities.”

Including the Tuesday kerfuffle near Peterson AFB and the fiery crash at Travis AFB, that’s six alarming incidents in just over six weeks at CONUS military facilities. And while none of these examples appear connected to any sort of foreign terror, the frequency of such bizarre incidents may leave some service members (and their families) on edge.

It’s unclear at this point if the DoD has pursued any policy changes regarding these recent incursions. The last time NORTHCOM publicly altered its force protection condition for a non-specific threat was in May 2015.

When reached for comment by Task & Purpose, a NORTHCOM spokesman said he would examine existing guidances distributed by the command in recent months to see if military leaders had explicitly addressed the uptick in incidents.

WATCH NEXT:

President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison at Pratt Industries, Sunday, Sept 22, 2019, in Wapakoneta, Ohio. (Associated Press/Evan Vucci)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Sunday that he discussed Democratic presidential hopeful Joe Biden and his son in a call with Ukraine's president.

Trump's statement to reporters about his July 25 call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky came as the Democratic leader of a key congressional panel said the pursuit of Trump's impeachment may be the "only remedy" to the situation.

Read More Show Less
"It's kind of like the equivalent of dropping a soda can into canyon and putting on a blindfold and going and finding it, because you can't just look down and see it," diver Jeff Goodreau said of finding the wreck.

The USS Eagle 56 was only five miles off the coast of Maine when it exploded.

The World War I-era patrol boat split in half, then slipped beneath the surface of the North Atlantic. The Eagle 56 had been carrying a crew of 62. Rescuers pulled 13 survivors from the water that day. It was April 23, 1945, just two weeks before the surrender of Nazi Germany.

The U.S. Navy classified the disaster as an accident, attributing the sinking to a blast in the boiler room. In 2001, that ruling was changed to reflect the sinking as a deliberate act of war, perpetuated by German submarine U-853, a u-boat belonging to Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine.

Still, despite the Navy's effort to clarify the circumstances surrounding the sinking, the Eagle 56 lingered as a mystery. The ship had sunk relatively close to shore, but efforts to locate the wreck were futile for decades. No one could find the Eagle 56, a small patrol ship that had come so close to making it back home.

Then, a group of friends and amateur divers decided to try to find the wreck in 2014. After years of fruitless dives and intensive research, New England-based Nomad Exploration Team successfully located the Eagle 56 in June 2018.

Business Insider spoke to two crew members — meat truck driver Jeff Goodreau and Massachusetts Department of Corrections officer Donald Ferrara — about their discovery.

Read More Show Less
(CIA photo)

Before the 5th Special Forces Group's Operational Detachment Alpha 595, before 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment's MH-47E Chinooks, and before the Air Force combat controllers, there were a handful of CIA officers and a buttload of cash.

Read More Show Less

The last time the world saw Marine veteran Austin Tice, he had been taken prisoner by armed men. It was unclear whether his captors were jihadists or allies of Syrian dictator Bashar al Assad who were disguised as Islamic radicals.

Blindfolded and nearly out of breath, Tice spoke in Arabic before breaking into English:"Oh Jesus. Oh Jesus."

That was from a video posted on YouTube on Sept. 26, 2012, several weeks after Tice went missing near Damascus, Syria, while working as a freelance journalist for McClatchy and the Washington Post.

Now that Tice has been held in captivity for more than seven years, reporters who have regular access to President Donald Trump need to start asking him how he is going to bring Tice home.

Read More Show Less

"Shoots like a carbine, holsters like a pistol." That's the pitch behind the new Flux Defense system designed to transform the Army's brand new sidearm into a personal defense weapon.

Read More Show Less