Pentagon says Turkey fired artillery within 'few hundred meters' of US troops in Syria

news

Photo: Turkish Armed Forces

U.S. troops came under artillery fire from the Turkish military that landed within "a few hundred meters" of their position in Kobani, Syria, a Pentagon spokeswoman said Friday.

The artillery fire occurred at approximately 9 p.m. local time, according to Navy Capt. Brook DeWalt, director of Defense Press Operations.


It was not clear what kind of artillery projectiles the Turks used, but impacts within 600 meters of friendly troops with artillery or mortars is typically considered "danger close."

"The explosion occurred within a few hundred meters of a location outside the Security Mechanism zone and in an area known by the Turks to have U.S. forces present," DeWalt said in an emailed statement. "All U.S. troops are accounted for with no injuries."

Newsweek's Jim LaPorta first reported on Turkey shelling positions in northern Syria, where both U.S. Special Forces and Kurds were present. LaPorta told Task & Purpose a team of Green Berets withdrew from the building they were in soon after the artillery fire ceased.

U.S. forces, however, have not withdrawn from Kobani, DeWalt said.

"The United States remains opposed to the Turkish military move into Syria and especially objects to Turkish operations outside the Security Mechanism zone and in areas where the Turks know U.S. forces are present," Dewalt added.

"The U.S. demands that Turkey avoid actions that could result in immediate defensive action."



Editor's Note: This article by Matthew Cox originally appeared onMilitary.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

U.S. Army aviation officials have launched an effort to restore full air assault capability to the 101st Airborne Division — a capability the Screaming Eagles have been without since 2015.

Read More Show Less

The U.S. military's withdrawal from northeast Syria is looking more like Dunkirk every day.

On Wednesday, the U.S. military had to call in an airstrike on one of its own ammunition dumps in northern Syria because the cargo trucks required to safely remove the ammo are needed elsewhere to support the withdrawal, Task & Purpose has learned.

Read More Show Less

President Donald Trump belittled his former defense secretary, James Mattis, by characterizing him as the "world's most overrated general," according to a Washington Post report published Wednesday.

The account from numerous officials came during an afternoon closed door meeting with congressional leaders in the Cabinet Room of the White House on Wednesday. In the meeting, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer reportedly brought up dissenting views towards the president's decision to withdraw the vast majority of roughly 1,000 U.S. troops stationed in Syria.

Read More Show Less

Retired two-star Navy. Adm. Joe Sestak is the highest ranking — and perhaps, least known — veteran who is trying to clinch the Democratic nomination for president in 2020.

Sestak has decades of military experience, but he is not getting nearly as much media attention as fellow veterans Pete Buttigieg and Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii). Another veteran, Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) has dropped out of the race.

Read More Show Less

After preliminary fitness test scores leaked in September, many have voiced concerns about how women would fare in the new Army Combat Fitness Test.

The scores — which accounted for 11 of the 63 battalions that the ACFT was tested on last year — showed an overall failure rate of 84% for women, and a 70% pass rate for men.

But Army leaders aren't concerned about this in the slightest.

Read More Show Less