There are lies, damn lies, and even more damn lies about Afghanistan

Pentagon Run-Down

Since the Washington Post first published the "Afghanistan papers," I have been reminded of a scene from "Apocalypse Now Redux" in which Army Col. Walter Kurtz reads to the soldier assigned to kill him two Time magazine articles showing how the American people had been lied to about Vietnam by both the Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon administrations.

In one of the articles, a British counterinsurgency expert tells Nixon that "things felt much better and smelled much better" during his visit to Vietnam.

"How do they smell to you, soldier?" Kurtz asks.


The Washington Post's reporting reveals that top government officials have known for years that the Afghanistan war has been unwinnable, yet they have continued to support it in public, going so far as to twist statistics to make things appear to be better than they really were.

The stories confirm that the U.S. military's strategy has been to "muddle along" and continue to send troops to fight a conflict that cannot be won on the battlefield.

Yet rather than owning up to the truth, several prominent supporters of the Afghan war, who have invested their reputations in its outcome, have instead attacked the Washington Post.

Michael E. O'Hanlon, of the left-leaning Brookings Institution think tank in Washington, accused the Post of doing a "disservice" by reporting that U.S. officials have been less than forthright about the prospects of success in Afghanistan.

"It is wrong — badly wrong — to claim to have proven that the Bush, Obama, and/or Trump administrations, as well as top military and diplomatic leaders charged with the Afghanistan mission, systematically and intentionally misled the country about what was going on," O'Hanlon wrote in a Dec. 10 post for the Brookings Institution's blog.

Oh really? Let's play a fun game and count the number of times defense officials have claimed that Afghanistan has turned the corner.

This is what then-Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said during his December 2011 visit to Afghanistan: "I think 2011 will go down as a turning point here in Afghanistan. We've weakened the Taliban. We've been able to secure more areas here in Afghanistan. The Afghan army is asserting itself, becoming more operational. We're transitioning areas. Over 50 percent of the population has now been transitioned to areas of Afghan governance and security."

In May 2014, Army Gen. Martin Dempsey, then chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, called Afghanistan's elections a "turning point in the confidence" of Afghan security forces.

And Army Gen. John Nicholson, who led all U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan, said this during a November 2017 Pentagon news briefing: "Now, looking ahead to 2018, as President Ghani said, he believes we have turned the corner and I agree. The momentum is now with the Afghan Security Forces and the Taliban cannot win in the face of the pressures that I outlined. Again, their choices are to reconcile, live in irrelevance, or die."

As Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) pointed out during the June 2018 confirmation hearing for the current U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, "We've supposedly turned the corner so many times that it seems now we're going in circles."

But others insist that the Afghanistan war is still worth fighting, citing the good the United States has accomplished there, such as advances in education.

Ryan Crocker, who served as chargé d'affaires to Afghanistan in 2002 and later as the U.S. ambassador from 2011 to 2012, wrote in the Washington Post that only 900,000 children were in school – all of whom were boys –when the U.S. military initially toppled the Taliban government.

"When I left Afghanistan as ambassador in 2012, 8 million Afghan kids were in school, a third of them girls," Crocker wrote. "Does that sound like a disaster?"

However, it is still extremely difficult to be a woman in Afghanistan, especially outside of Kabul and Jalalabad, said John F. Sopko, the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction.

"Go out into the hinterlands," Sopko told reporters in April. "Women are still treated very poorly, and we have to remember that."

Still, it is impossible to argue that life would improve for Afghans if the United States withdrew all of its troops from the country.

Former Defense Secretary James Mattis, who also led troops in Afghanistan, noted that Afghan security forces continue to fight the Taliban even though more than 28,500 of their troops and police have been killed since 2015.

"Why is that army still fighting having suffered that many casualties if the whole thing is just a waste and it can't be successful?" Mattis told David Ignatius of the Washington Post. "You couldn't fight many armies that could take those casualties and stay in the brawl."

Mattis also said he was perplexed at the notion that the U.S. government tried to hide how bad the situation in Afghanistan really was.

"I have walked the ground with your reporters beside me, who were embedded in the units, who were watching this close up," Mattis said. "The reporting, I thought, was pretty accurate."

True, but those embeds ended several years ago and Army Gen. Austin Miller, who has led all U.S. troops in Afghanistan for more than a year, has not held a single Pentagon press briefing.

The U.S. military has also stopped making public how much territory the Afghan government actually controls and other metrics for success have become classified, Sopko said in April.

"Embarrassing things tend to get classified in this town," Sopko said at a Defense Writers Group breakfast. "Governments don't usually classify good news. If they do by mistake, it's leaked."

All of this is a long way of answering the question posed by Col. Kurtz. How does the party line about Afghanistan smell? Like bullshit.

Not getting the Pentagon Run-Down? Sign up here!

Jeff Schogol covers the Pentagon for Task & Purpose. He has covered the military for 14 years and embedded with U.S. troops in Iraq and Haiti. Prior to joining T&P, he covered the Marine Corps and Air Force at Military Times. Comments or thoughts to share? Send them to Jeff Schogol via email at schogol@taskandpurpose.com or direct message @JeffSchogol on Twitter.

Soldiers from the 1-118th Field Artillery Regiment of the 48th Infantry Brigade Combat Team fire an M777 Howitzer during a fire mission in Southern Afghanistan, June 10th, 2019. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Jordan Trent)

Once again, the United States and the Taliban are apparently close to striking a peace deal. Such a peace agreement has been rumored to be in the works longer than the latest "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" sequel. (The difference is Keanu Reeves has fewer f**ks to give than U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad.)

Both sides appeared to be close to reaching an agreement in September until the Taliban took credit for an attack that killed Army Sgt. 1st Class Elis A. Barreto Ortiz, of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division. That prompted President Donald Trump to angrily cancel a planned summit with the Taliban that had been scheduled to take place at Camp David, Maryland, on Sept. 8.

Now Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen has told a Pakistani newspaper that he is "optimistic" that the Taliban could reach an agreement with U.S. negotiators by the end of January.

Read More
Audie Murphy (U.S. Army photo)

Editor's note: a version of this post first appeared in 2018

On January 26, 1945, the most decorated U.S. service member of World War II earned his legacy in a fiery fashion.

Read More
A Purple Heart (DoD photo)

Florida's two senators are pushing the Defense Department to award Purple Hearts to the U.S. service members wounded in the December shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola.

Read More
Ships from Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 23 transit the Pacific Ocean Jan. 22, 2020. DESRON 23, part of the Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group, is on a scheduled deployment to the Indo-Pacific. (U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Erick A. Parsons)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The Navy and Marine Corps need to be a bit more short-sighted when assessing how many ships they need, the acting Navy secretary said this week.

The Navy Department is in the middle of a new force-structure review, which could change the number and types of ships the sea services say they'll need to fight future conflicts. But instead of trying to project what they will need three decades out, which has been the case in past assessments, acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said the services will take a shorter view.

"I don't know what the threat's going to be 30 years from now, but if we're building a force structure for 30 years from now, I would suggest we're probably not building the right one," he said Friday at a National Defense Industrial Association event.

The Navy completed its last force-structure assessment in 2016. That 30-year plan called for a 355-ship fleet.

Read More
Master-at-Arms 3rd Class Oscar Temores and his family. (GoFundMe)

When Oscar Jesus Temores showed up to work at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story each day, his colleagues in base security knew they were in for a treat.

Temores was a master-at-arms who loved his job and cracking corny jokes.

"He just he just had that personality that you can go up to him and talk to him about anything. It was goofy and weird, and he always had jokes," said Petty Officer 3rd Class Derek Lopez, a fellow base patrolman. "Sometimes he'd make you cry from laughter and other times you'd just want to cringe because of how dumb his joke was. But that's what made him more approachable and easy to be around."

That ability to make others laugh and put people at ease is just one of the ways Temores is remembered by his colleagues. It has been seven weeks since the 23-year-old married father of one was killed when a civilian intruder crashed his pickup truck into Temores' vehicle at Fort Story.

Read More