Senior Army General Reportedly Asked Whether Green Beret Ambushed In Niger Was Eligible For Medal Of Honor

Bullet Points

One of the four Army Special Forces soldiers killed in the Oct. 4, 2017 ambush in Niger may potentially be under consideration for the Medal of Honor, according to a new report.


  • In a Friday story concerning Defense Secretary Jim Mattis' recent anger over the Pentagon's ambush investigation, the New York Times notes that U.S. Special Operations Command chief Army Gen. Raymond Thomas, had asked whether Army Staff Sgt. Dustin Wright "was eligible for the Medal of Honor" among the awards for Operational Detachment Alpha Team 3212 for their bravery in battle.

  • Wright, along with Staff Sgt. Bryan C. Black, Staff Sgt. Jeremiah W. Johnson, and Sgt. La David T. Johnson, was killed when his convoy was ambushed by a large force of ISIS during the October 2017 ambush.
  • According to the Times, Wright was killed while trying to rescue a wounded Black, dragging him by his flak jacket to cover before fleeing into the surrounding brush and returning fire in a desperate attempt to rescue his fallen comrades.
  • During a May briefing, Task & Purpose's Jeff Schogol asked U.S. Africa Command chief Marine Gen. Thomas Waldhauser and new U.S. Army Africa chief Maj. Gen. Roger Cloutier if they believed any service members who fought in this incident deserved to be recommended for the Medal of Honor.
  • "My finding indicates that there were numerous acts of extraordinary bravery that occurred on that day, and they should be adjudicated as SOCOM deems necessary," Cloutier responded. "There — there were acts of bravery."

SEE ALSO: ISIS Ghouls Tried To Steal Fallen Soldiers’ Bodies In Niger. They Failed

WATCH NEXT:

An Oregon Air National Guard F-15C Eagle that made an emergency landing on Wednesday ditched its entire arsenal of live air-to-air missiles before touching down at Portland International Airport, The War Zone reports.

Read More Show Less

Several hundred U.S. troops will remain in Syria after allied forces clear ISIS fighters out of their last stronghold in the country, officials said on Friday.

President Donald Trump announced in December that he would withdraw all U.S. troops from Syria, but Sen. Lindsey Graham has since made a strong push to keep a small residual force along the Turkish border along with troops from European allies.

Read More Show Less
Chris Osman (Photo: _chris_osman_designs/Instagram)

The former Navy SEAL among a group of eight men arrested earlier this week in Port-au-Prince on weapons charges says he was providing security work "for people who are directly connected to the current President" of Haiti.

"We were being used as pawns in a public fight between him and the current Prime Minister of Haiti," said Chris Osman, 44, in a post on Instagram Friday. "We were not released we were in fact rescued."

Read More Show Less
Former Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis (DoD photo)

A Richland, Washington city councilman thinks native son Jim Mattis would make a terrific governor or even president.

Read More Show Less

It's a photo for the ages: a Marine NCO, a Greek god in his dress blues, catches the eye of a lovely young woman as her boyfriend urges her on in distress. It's the photographic ancestor of the much-loved "distracted boyfriend" stock photo meme, made even sweeter by the fact that this is clearly a sailor about to lose his girl to a Devil Dog.

Well, this photo and the Marine in it, which hopscotched around Marine Corps Facebook and Instagram pages before skyrocketing to the front page of Reddit on Thursday, are very real.

The photo shows then-Staff Sgt. Louis A. Capozzoli — and he is absolutely not on his way to steal your girl.

Read More Show Less