Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
US sends rapid deployment force to Kenya after military base attack kills 3
A U.S. military rapid response team has been deployed to a military base in Manda Bay, Kenya after an attack there by the Somalia-based terrorist group Al-Shabaab killed a U.S. service member and two Pentagon contractors on Sunday morning, according to a statement from U.S. Africa Command.
The team, the East Africa Response Force (EARF) is supposed to secure the airfield at the base, AFRICOM explained in its Monday statement. Army Maj. Gen. William Gayler, director of operations for AFRICOM, said EARF gives commanders the ability to respond swiftly to a range of crises in the region, including the protection of U.S. citizens, disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.
"The EARF's ability to respond to events spanning a vast area of responsibility provides a proven and invaluable on-call reinforcement capability in times of need," Gayler said in a statement.
Sunday's attack by Al-Shabaab claimed the lives of an American soldier, Spc. Henry "Mitch" Mayfield Jr., and two Department of Defense contractors whose names have not yet been released. Fewer than 150 U.S. service members were present at the base at the time of the attack, an AFRICOM spokesman told Reuters on Sunday.
Al-Shabaab also killed more than 80 civilians in a Dec. 28 attack in Mogadishu, Somalia, AFRICOM said. The command said it did not suspect the Sunday attack was linked to Iranian retaliation for the U.S. killing of its top general, Qassem Suleimani in an airstrike. However, AFRICOM said it has "observed other nations, including Iran, seek increased influence in the Horn of Africa."
This isn't the first time EARF has responded to a crisis. Last year, EARF deployed to Libreville, Gabon in support of potential unrest in the neighboring Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Their mission was to secure U.S. citizens, personnel and diplomatic facilities in DRC, the Army said.
"Essentially our company is able to be the primary response force for the majority of the African continent," said Capt. Connor McCarthy, commander of Bravo Company, 1-26th infantry battalion 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, at the time. "Though it isn't always the best of situations, if we get the call, our company is always ready to support."
About a dozen more US troops medevaced from Iraq over possible concussions following Iran's missile attack
In a Galaxy — err, I mean, on a military base far, far away, soldiers are standing in solidarity with galactic freedom fighters.
Sitting at the top of an Army press release from March 2019, regarding the East Africa Response Force's deployment to Gabon, the photo seems, at first glance, just like any other: Soldiers on the move.
But if you look closer at the top right, you'll find something spectacular: A Rebel Alliance flag.
The first of the CMV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft the Navy plans on adopting as its carrier onboard delivery (COD) aircraft of choice has successfully completed its first flight operations, manufacturer Boeing announced on Tuesday.
Another 300 lawsuits against 3M flooded federal courts this month as more military veterans accuse the behemoth manufacturer of knowingly making defective earplugs that caused vets to lose hearing during combat in Iraq or Afghanistan or while training on U.S. military bases.
On another front, 3M also is fighting lawsuits related to a class of chemicals known as PFAS, with the state of Michigan filing a lawsuit last week against the Maplewood-based company.
To date, nearly 2,000 U.S. veterans from Minnesota to California and Texas have filed more than 1,000 lawsuits.
GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea said on Tuesday it was no longer bound by commitments to halt nuclear and missile testing, blaming the United States' failure to meet a year-end deadline for nuclear talks and "brutal and inhumane" U.S. sanctions.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un set an end-December deadline for denuclearization talks with the United States and White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien said at the time the United States had opened channels of communication.
O'Brien said then he hoped Kim would follow through on denuclearization commitments he made at summits with U.S. President Donald Trump.