Report: Russians Posed As ISIS To Threaten Military Spouses, Army Family Readiness Group

Bullet Points
Photo via Wikimedia Commons

The filthy, no-good ISIS hackers that made death threats against military spouses a few years ago may actually have been filthy, no-good Russian hackers posing as jihadists, the Associated Press first reported on Tuesday.


  • On Feb. 10, 2015, five military spouses received death threats from the CyberCaliphate, which was supposedly an arm of ISIS. But an AP investigation has learned the spouses were targeted by Russian hackers – known as “Fancy Bear” or “APT28” –  who also went after journalists, defense contractors and U.S. government officials. The cyber security company Secureworks provided the AP with Russians’ digital hit list of 4,700 Gmail addresses, and the AP determined the Russians were actively trying to break into the spouses’ emails around the time of the CyberCaliphate attack.
  • Amy Bushatz, one of the five military spouses targeted in the 2015 attack, also covers family issues for Military.com. On Tuesday, she wrote that if the hackers compromised her email account, they may have also gained access to her Army Family Readiness Group, which has personal information on up to 500 soldiers – yet the Army and U.S. government failed to notify her or anyone else in the group.
  • “Thanks to the Army's support system and its reliance on a network of unit family member volunteers instead of paid employees, a foreign state can quickly and easily gain access to the personal data of families of deploying troops, including their physical locations, simply by targeting the unsecured email accounts of unit spouses,” Bushatz wrote.
  • “It's not hard to see how the troop and family security situation unravels once that access is gained. If a U.S. soldier was to be captured and interrogated, how could information on his or her family be used? How could it be leveraged through social media? How could it be utilized through a targeted misinformation campaign?”

WATCH NEXT:

New London — Retired four-star general John Kelly said that as President Donald Trump's chief of staff, he pushed back against the proposal to deploy U.S. troops to the southern border, arguing at the time that active-duty U.S. military personnel typically don't deploy or operate domestically.

"We don't like it," Kelly said in remarks at the Coast Guard Academy on Thursday night. "We see that as someone else's job meaning law enforcement."

Read More Show Less
Photo: Iran

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

Yemen's Houthi rebel group, part of a regional network of militants backed by Iran, claims to be behind the drone strikes on two Saudi oil facilities that have the potential to disrupt global oil supplies.

A report from the United Nations Security Council published in January suggests that Houthi forces have obtained more powerful drone weaponry than what was previously available to them, and that the newer drones have the capability to travel greater distances and inflict more harm.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article by Matthew Cox originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Air Force has selected two companies to make an extreme cold-weather boot for pilots as part of a long-term effort to better protect aviators from frostbite in emergencies.

In August the service awarded a contract worth up to $4.75 million to be split between Propel LLC and the Belleville Boot Company for boots designed keep pilots' feet warm in temperatures as low as -20 Fahrenheit without the bulk of existing extreme cold weather boots, according to Debra McLean, acquisition program manager for Clothing & Textiles Domain at Air Force Life Cycle Management Command's Agile Combat Support/Human Systems Division.

Read More Show Less

DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran rejected accusations by the United States that it was behind attacks on Saudi oil plants that risk disrupting world energy supplies and warned on Sunday that U.S. bases and aircraft carriers in the region were in range of its missiles.

Yemen's Houthi group claimed responsibility for Saturday's attacks that knocked out more than half of Saudi oil output or more than 5% of global supply, but U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the assault was the work of Iran, a Houthi ally.

Read More Show Less
Maj. Matthew Golsteyn in Afghanistan. (Photo courtesy of Philip Stackhouse.)

Nearly a decade after he allegedly murdered an unarmed Afghan civilian during a 2010 deployment, the case of Army Maj. Matthew Golsteyn is finally going to trial.

Read More Show Less