Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
New Army IG report paints a bleak-as-hell picture of privatized military housing
The U.S. Army Inspector General released its investigation report on privatized housing on Thursday, detailing the dismal conditions soldiers and their families have been facing while offering recommendations on how to fix them.
The Department of the Army Inspector General's (DAIG) report details how soldiers and their families had concerns over safety and environmental issues in the homes; were being kept in the dark about where work orders are going, and what kind of maintenance history their home had; and across the board — residents at every installation DAIG spoke with — felt that "property management company placed the interests of affiliate companies above life, health, and safety."
The report also acknowledges a complete breakdown in oversight of the companies, while highlighting a perception among military families have said often — that they experienced retaliation and retribution by the housing companies for speaking out and submitting multiple work orders, something Task & Purpose has reported on previously.
One portion of the report casts doubt on something Army leaders have frequently pointed to as a way to force the housing companies to improve — withholding the companies' incentive fees. The DAIG writes in its report that this is already being done in some cases, and doesn't hold enough power to force complete change.
"Most (32 of 42, 76%) garrison commanders have, at different times, distributed less than 100% of the incentive fees to the company, however, base fees are a higher percentage of the overall fee structure and are paid-in-full regardless of performance," the report says. "[I]ncentive fee metrics were easily achieved and diminish the intent to incentivize higher standards of performance."
Another painfully unsurprising finding: Families who were raising complaints and filing multiple work orders say that they experienced retribution, retaliation and reprisal from the privatized companies.
"Examples from residents included additional move-out fees, fines due to yard maintenance or other discrepancies, and threats to call or involve the chain of command in various issues," the report says. "In each case, residents described these types of actions immediately or shortly following a negative encounter with the private companies/property management team."
The report also addressed the issue that tenants were not being made aware of the work orders that previous residents had in the homes they were moving into.
"None (0 of 49, 0%) of the locations provided residents with a work order history or a Change of Occupancy Maintenance (COM) report prior to the resident signing the lease agreement."
The recommendations the IG made on this issue specifically includes the Resident Bill of Rights previously announced by the Department and all of the service secretaries; develop a process for a work order history and most recent COM to be provided before residents sign their lease; and more.
The DAIG also makes mention of how the private companies were not forthcoming with information, and that the Army didn't press them to receive said information.
"RCI companies were not fully forthcoming with information," the report says. "The Company Operating Agreement...allowed the Army to conduct audits and to access all RCI-related business documents. However, based on DAIG review of management documents and inspection reports, the Army did not aggressively pursue that information when provided."
The DAIG was directed to investigate the Residential Communities Initiative (RCI)-Privatized Housing Program in February this year; 49 of the Army's U.S. installations were investigated, including Fort Irwin, Fort Meade, Fort Knox, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Fort Greely, Fort Wainwright, and more.
More than 200 interviews were conducted with garrison commanders, private housing property managers, Installation Management Command senior officials, and others; just under 1,500 residents were spoken with.
Many of the recommendations the DAIG made as a result are already being addressed by the Army, the service said in its report announcement, such as establishing ways to better educate leaders on their responsibilities; allow residents to track work order histories and maintenance issues; establishing 24-hour hotlines for residents; conducting satisfaction surveys; releasing a Tenant Bill of Rights; and more.
The Army has also launched a registry to help track health complaints related to military housing, and has been holding town halls across the service.
"We continue to drive change and remain steadfast in holding ourselves and privatized housing companies accountable to provide safe and secure housing on our installation," commanding general of Army Material Command, Gen. Gus Perna, said in the Army's release.
- Army Secretary Vows To Fix 'Unconscionable' Health Hazards In ... ›
- Survey: Army Families Even Less Happy With Privatized Housing ... ›
- Lawmakers Demand Answers On Hazardous Military Housing ... ›
Just before 8 a.m. on a Sunday morning 78 years ago, Lauren Bruner was preparing for church services and a date that would follow with a girl he'd met outside his Navy base.
The 21-year-old sailor was stationed as a fire controlman aboard the U.S. battleship USS Arizona, overseeing the vessel's .50-caliber guns.
Then alarms rang out. A Japanese plane had bombed the ship in a surprise attack.
It took only nine minutes for the Arizona to sink after the first bomb hit. Bruner was struck by gunfire while trying to flee the inferno that consumed the ship, the second-to-last man to escape the explosion that killed 1,177, including his best friend; 335 survived.
More than 70% of Bruner's body was burned. He was hospitalized for weeks.
Now, nearly eight decades after that fateful day, Bruner's ashes will be delivered to the sea that cradled his fallen comrades, stored in an urn inside the battleship's wreckage.
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
Joshua Kaleb Watson has been identified as one of the victims of a shooting at the Naval Air Station Pensacola, CBS News reported.
The 23-year-old Alabama native and Naval Academy graduate was named to the Academy's prestigious Commandant's and Dean's lists, and also competed on the rifle team, Alabama's WTVY reported.
NAS Pensacola shooter railed against the US and quoted Osama bin Laden online hours before the attack
PENSACOLA, Fla. (Reuters) - The Saudi airman accused of killing three people at a U.S. Navy base in Florida appeared to have posted criticism of U.S. wars and quoted slain al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden on social media hours before the shooting spree, according to a group that monitors online extremism.
Federal investigators have not disclosed any motive behind the attack, which unfolded at dawn on Friday when the Saudi national is said to have began firing a handgun inside a classroom at the Naval Air Station Pensacola.
NAS Pensacola shooter reportedly hosted a 'dinner party' to watch mass shooting videos the week before the attack
The Saudi military officer who shot and killed 3 people at Naval Air Station Pensacola on Friday reportedly hosted a "dinner party" the week before the attack "to watch videos of mass shootings," the Associated Press reports, citing an unnamed U.S. official.
The Minnesota National Guard has released the names of the three soldiers killed in Thursday's helicopter crash.