Leaked Army document reveals the whole ‘one weekend a month’ reserve thing is kinda b*llshit

popular
Arizona Army National Guard soldiers with the 160th and 159th Financial Management Support Detachments qualify with the M249 squad automatic weapon at the Florence Military Reservation firing range on March 8, 2019. (U.S. Army/Spc. Laura Bauer)

The recruiting commercials for the Army Reserve proclaim "one weekend each month," but the real-life Army Reserve might as well say "hold my beer."

That's because the weekend "recruiting hook" — as it's called in a leaked document compiled by Army personnel for the new chief of staff — reveal that it's, well, kinda bullshit.

When they're not activated or deployed, most reservists and guardsmen spend one weekend a month on duty and two weeks a year training, according to the Army recruiting website. But that claim doesn't seem to square with reality.

"The Army Reserve is cashing in on uncompensated sacrifices of its Soldiers on a scale that must be in the tens of millions of dollars, and that is a violation of trust, stewardship, and the Army Values," one Army Reserve lieutenant colonel, who also complained that his battalion commander "demanded" that he be available at all times, told members of an Army Transition Team earlier this year.


In addition, the colonel added, the Army Reserve had sucked up so much of his time that he was "struggling to keep my marriage and family together."

The quote was among several compiled by an Army-wide team tasked with compiling data and answering questions for new Army Chief of Staff Gen. James McConville. They also offered up plenty of gripes among the rank-and-file, to include their near-universal hatred of the service's "Sustainable Readiness Model" of getting soldiers ready for combat — which, according to soldiers, quite often has reservists working overtime for no pay.

"Not only are Soldiers presenting themselves in uniform more often, but more importantly, there is a greater expectation that Soldiers, on non-pay status, complete military work in order for the unit to maintain their readiness," said one staff sergeant in the Army National Guard.

Under the theme "Readiness demands are breaking the force" in the 142-page document, which was obtained by Task & Purpose earlier this week, the report's authors note a sentiment among soldiers that SRM is "neither sustainable nor effective," since they are under constant stress to meet quotas for mandatory training programs — while other things like housing, job satisfaction, and healthcare tend to go out the window.

"The Reserve Component feels this strain too," the authors write, "which manifests in additional time necessary to meet requirements outside of the espoused one weekend a month, two weeks a summer recruiting hook."

For example, according to one Army major with 12 years in the reserves: "I'm taking vacation days from my civilian job to keep up with metrics and mission. Give me more time and money for the job I'm doing. The only reason I am staying is to get the 20 year pension."

"We tell our Soldiers, if you're at an interview don't tell people that you're a reserve component Soldier," said another Army Reserve captain. "When I was a Reserve Company Commander I worked 20 hours a week for the Army for free. Right now I lose 2-3 months a year for reserve component commitments."

Though the personal feedback from soldiers was limited, it was "honest and emblematic of the force as a whole," wrote Lt. Gen. Eric Wesley, Army Transition Team director, in the report's executive summary.

"The Army Reserve has this fundamental imperative to be ready enough for the next fight," Chief of Army Reserve, Lt. Gen. Charles Luckey, told reporters earlier this year. "But not so ready that we can't keep meaningful civilian jobs, and a healthy family lifestyle. We have soldiers out there every day that are committed to something larger than themselves: selfless-service support in defense of the United States of America. It is a national imperative to continue to share this talent, and encourage and incentivize our soldiers to continue to serve."



Barrett's bolt-action Multi-Role Adaptive Design (MRAD) system (Courtesy photo)

The Army is almost doubling its purchase of new bolt-action Precision Sniper Rifles as its primary anti-personnel sniper system of choice, according to budget documents.

Read More
(U.S. Air Force photo)

Air Force officials are investigating the death of a man near the north gate of the U.S. Air Force Academy on Saturday night after the NHL Stadium Series hockey game between the Avalanche and the Los Angeles Kings, military officials said Sunday.

Read More
(Navy photo / Chief Mass Communication Specialist Paul Seeber)

The Citizens of Ebey's Reserve (COER) is asking a federal judge to require the Navy to roll back the number of EA-18G Growler practice flights at Outlying Field Coupeville to pre-2019 levels until a lawsuit over the number of Growler flights is settled.

COER and private citizen Paula Spina filed a motion for a preliminary injunction Thursday.

According to the motion, since March 2019 the Navy has increased the number of Growlers at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island and shifted most of its Growler operations to Outlying Field Coupeville, which is near the Reserve and the town of Coupeville.

"The result is a nearly fourfold increase in Growler flights in that area. Now the overflights subject residents in and near Coupeville to extreme noise for several hours of the day, day and night, many days of the week," said the court document.

Read More
An F-16 Fighting Falcon assigned to the 18th Aggressor Squadron taxis down the runway during Sentry Aloha 20-1 at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii, Jan. 15, 2020. (U.S. Air Force/Senior Airman Beaux Hebert)

A 26-year-old man died after he failed to surface from waters off Molokai while participating in a scuba diving tour over the weekend.

He has been identified as Duane Harold Parsley II and was stationed at Hickam Air Force Base, according to the Maui Police Department.

Read More
Manzanar, the first of ten such concentration camps established by Executive Order No. 9066 on February 19, 1942. (Dorothea Lange for the War Relocation Authority)

LOS ANGELES — For decades, Japanese American activists have marked Feb. 19 as a day to reflect on one of the darkest chapters in this nation's history.

On that date in 1942, during World War II, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt authorized the forced removal of over 120,000 Americans of Japanese descent from their homes and businesses.

On Thursday, the California Assembly will do more than just remember.

Read More