'Be Courteous With Fireworks': Veterans Ask A Community To Help Those With PTSD

news
Public domain

The bright lights and booming sounds of fireworks on the Fourth of July can be tough for veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.


Merced's Art Grandado, 63, is one of those veterans.

Granado spent six years in the Marines, serving in the war in Vietnam. He then spent 32 years in the Army. He's a Desert Storm veteran who has also done one tour in Iraq and three tours in Afghanistan.

"The last couple years have been difficult for me," Granado said of Fourth of July celebrations. "This year, I thought I'd try to do something."

Granado has teamed up with a local veterans organization, Marines: Central California Veterans, to make signs that can be posted in front of houses that let people know a military veteran lives there. The signs read: "Combat Veteran Lives Here. Please be courteous with fireworks."

"The sign politely tells the neighbors to help me out," Granado said. "I've been diagnosed with PTSD. It's a fact I'm dealing with. Sounds and light can be daunting for me. They bring back some of the memories. Talking to other veterans, they've had the same issues."

The signs can be purchased from the MCCV for $10. The MCCV will also let veterans borrow the signs for the Fourth of July. They've offered to have volunteers come post the sign and then they will pick the sign up after the holiday. Veterans wishing to purchase or borrow a sign can call MCCV Vice Commander Jesse Leal at 209-829-5121.

Leal, 49, has already seen the sign posted in front of his home bring awareness to his neighbors.

Leal, who also suffers from PTSD, struggled last year on the Fourth of July when there were fireworks going off in front of his house. Leal said he didn't want to be confrontational but did ask his neighbors if they could stop the fireworks. Leal says the fireworks did stop but only briefly.

"I didn't want to be a bad neighbor," Leal said. "I just put ear plugs in and tried to sleep. This sign does let people know I am a veteran. I suffer from PTSD. I have the sign up in the front yard and I've had neighbors come up to me and apologize about the fireworks. They said they didn't know I was in the military. I appreciate that they came by and apologized. They said they will go somewhere else this year to do fireworks. It lets neighbors know.

"To me, I think the signs are a great idea."

According to the National Center for PTSD, about 30 percent of Vietnam Veterans have suffered from PTSD in their lifetime. According to the US Department of Veterans Affairs website, the number of Veterans with PTSD differs with service area. In a given year, 12 percent of Gulf War Veterans will suffer from PTSD and 11 to 20 percent of Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom Veterans will have PTSD.

The loud noises and bright lights of fireworks can trigger some bad memories for military veterans.

"I've had dreams at night and then I wake up and realize it's only fireworks," said Atwater's Frank Paredes, who is a 98-year old World War II Veteran.

Members of the MCCV posted a sign in front of Paredes' home on Tuesday evening.

MCCV coordination and co-founder Ray Villegas, 60, says they aren't trying to keep people from having fun with fireworks.

Villegas says they have already had veterans in Madera and Fresno order signs.

"A lot of times, Vets will stay inside and turn their TV up loud on the Fourth," Villegas said. "They keep to themselves. When Art Granado brought the idea for the sign we jumped out immediately because some of us have the same feeling. No, we're not saying don't celebrate. We're just asking people to be courteous, be aware. We want people to continue celebrating. That's what the Fourth of July is all about."

———

©2018 the Merced Sun-Star (Merced, Calif.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

US Marine Corps

The Marine lieutenant colonel who was removed from command of 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in May is accused of lying to investigators looking into allegations of misconduct, according to a copy of his charge sheet provided to Task & Purpose on Monday.

Read More Show Less

President Donald Trump just can't stop telling stories about former Defense Secretary James Mattis. This time, the president claims Mattis said U.S. troops were so perilously low on ammunition that it would be better to hold off launching a military operation.

"You know, when I came here, three years ago almost, Gen. Mattis told me, 'Sir, we're very low on ammunition,'" Trump recalled on Monday at the White House. "I said, 'That's a horrible thing to say.' I'm not blaming him. I'm not blaming anybody. But that's what he told me because we were in a position with a certain country, I won't say which one; we may have had conflict. And he said to me: 'Sir, if you could, delay it because we're very low on ammunition.'

"And I said: You know what, general, I never want to hear that again from another general," Trump continued. "No president should ever, ever hear that statement: 'We're low on ammunition.'"

Read More Show Less

At least one Air Force base is waging a slow battle against feral hogs — and way, way more than 30-50 of them.

A Texas trapper announced on Monday that his company had removed roughly 1,200 feral hogs from Joint Base San Antonio property at the behest of the service since 2016.

Read More Show Less

In a move that could see President Donald Trump set foot on North Korean soil again, Kim Jong Un has invited the U.S. leader to Pyongyang, a South Korean newspaper reported Monday, as the North's Foreign Ministry said it expected stalled nuclear talks to resume "in a few weeks."

A letter from Kim, the second Trump received from the North Korean leader last month, was passed to the U.S. president during the third week of August and came ahead of the North's launch of short-range projectiles on Sept. 10, the South's Joongang Ilbo newspaper reported, citing multiple people familiar with the matter.

In the letter, Kim expressed his willingness to meet the U.S. leader for another summit — a stance that echoed Trump's own remarks just days earlier.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

On April 14, 2018, two B-1B Lancer bombers fired off payloads of Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missiles against weapons storage plants in western Syria, part of a shock-and-awe response to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's use of chemical weapons against his citizens that also included strikes from Navy destroyers and submarines.

In all, the two bombers fired 19 JASSMs, successfully eliminating their targets. But the moment would ultimately be one of the last — and certainly most publicized — strategic strikes for the aircraft before operations began to wind down for the entire fleet.

A few months after the Syria strike, Air Force Global Strike Command commander Gen. Tim Ray called the bombers back home. Ray had crunched the data, and determined the non-nuclear B-1 was pushing its capabilities limit. Between 2006 and 2016, the B-1 was the sole bomber tasked continuously in the Middle East. The assignment was spread over three Lancer squadrons that spent one year at home, then six month deployed — back and forth for a decade.

The constant deployments broke the B-1 fleet. It's no longer a question of if, but when the Air Force and Congress will send the aircraft to the Boneyard. But Air Force officials are still arguing the B-1 has value to offer, especially since it's all the service really has until newer bombers hit the flight line in the mid-2020s.

Read More Show Less