Eddie Gallagher busted down one rank after being found guilty of posing for photo with ISIS fighter's body

news
Paul Szoldra/Task & Purpose

A military jury sentenced Navy SEAL Chief Eddie Gallagher to a reduction in rank to E-6, along with four months confinement and forfeiture of pay on Wednesday.


Gallagher, 40, was found not guilty of premeditated murder over an alleged stabbing of a wounded ISIS fighter in Mosul in 2017. He was also acquitted of charges related to obstruction of justice and attempted premeditated murder over alleged unlawful sniper shots taken at an old man and a young girl.

The jury found him guilty on only one charge on Tuesday: unlawfully posing for a picture with a human casualty. Prosecutors showed two photos of Gallagher posing with a body throughout his trial. Other SEALs, including some witnesses who testified against him, were also in the photos.

One photo frequently shown during the trial showed Gallagher, wearing a ball cap, kneeling next to the deceased ISIS fighter while holding his knife as three other SEALs are seen standing behind him. Another showed Gallagher similarly posing with nearly a dozen other members of SEAL Team 7 Alpha Platoon posing for the shot.

Gallagher served about eight months in confinement prior to going to trial, so his four-month sentence will be chalked up to time served. Two months of the pay forfeiture were suspended due to pretrial restrictions, according to Andrew Dyer of San Diego Union-Tribune.

His defense attorney Tim Parlatore told Task & Purpose on Wednesday that Gallagher is about two weeks away from being eligible for retirement, and will likely separate from the Navy; now, it will be as a Petty Officer 1st Class.

The sentence is not yet final.

It now goes to the convening authority, who can decide to accept or reject the sentence. Parlatore told Task & Purpose he plans to ask the convening authority for clemency and request that he drop the photo charge that Gallagher was convicted on.

President Donald Trump has also reportedly considered pardoning Gallagher.

Photo: US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia

A former sailor who was busted buying firearms with his military discount and then reselling some of them to criminals is proving to be a wealth of information for federal investigators.

Julio Pino used his iPhone to record most, if not all, of his sales, court documents said. He even went so far as to review the buyers' driver's license on camera.

It is unclear how many of Pino's customer's now face criminal charges of their own. Federal indictments generally don't provide that level of detail and Assistant U.S. Attorney William B. Jackson declined to comment.

Read More Show Less
Photo illustration by Paul Szoldra/Task & Purpose

It all began with a medical check.

Carson Thomas, a healthy and fit 20-year-old infantryman who had joined the Army after a brief stint in college, figured he should tell the medics about the pain in his groin he had been feeling. It was Feb. 12, 2012, and the senior medic looked him over and decided to send him to sick call at the base hospital.

It seemed almost routine, something the Army doctors would be able to diagnose and fix so he could get back to being a grunt.

Now looking back on what happened some seven years later, it was anything but routine.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Army Cpt. Katrina Hopkins and Chief Warrant Officer 2 James Rogers, assigned to Task Force Warhorse, pilot a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter during a medical evacuation (MEDEVAC) operation at Camp Taji, Iraq, Dec. 18, 2018. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Javion Siders)

U.S. forces must now ask the Iraqi military for permission to fly in Iraqi airspace before coming to the aid of U.S. troops under fire, a top military spokesman said.

However, the mandatory approval process is not expected to slow down the time it takes the U.S. military to launch close air support and casualty evacuation missions for troops in the middle of a fight, said Army Col. James Rawlinson, a spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve.

Read More Show Less
Army Spc. Clayton James Horne

Army Spc. Clayton James Horne died in Saudi Arabia on Aug. 17, making him the eighth non-combat fatality for Operation Inherent Resolve so far this year, defense officials have announced.

Horne, 23, was assigned to the 351st Military Police Company, 160th Military Police Battalion, an Army Reserve unit based in Ocala, Florida, a Pentagon news release says.

Read More Show Less
Joshua Yabut/Twitter

The soldier who was arrested for taking an armored personnel carrier on a slow-speed police chase through Virginia has been found not guilty by reason of insanity on two charges, according to The Richmond-Times Dispatch.

Joshua Phillip Yabut, 30, entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle — in this case, a 12-ton APC taken from Fort Pickett in June 2018 — and violating the terms of his bond, which stemmed from a trip to Iraq he took in March 2019 (which was not a military deployment).

Read More Show Less