A string of photos that recently surfaced online offer a sense of the scope of damage sustained by the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard during last week's fire.
For more than four days firefighters battled the blaze aboard the Bonhomme Richard — from aboard the ship, on the docks at the San Diego shipyard in California, from nearby vessels, and by helicopter.
Dozens were injured in the fire, with Military.com reporting that 63 people — 40 sailors and 23 civilians — sustained injuries while fighting the blaze, which at times climbed as high as 1,000 degrees.
The origin of the fire is still unknown, though Navy officials have said that a thorough investigation will be launched.
On Friday Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Michael M. Gilday said that the results of the investigation will be made public, and that “we will follow the facts," reported Navy Times.
“We’ll be honest with ourselves,” Gilday added.
Given the extensive damage inflicted on the Bonhomme Richard, and the costs it would run to repair the vessel, it remains unclear if it will return to service. And as Task & Purpose's Jeff Schogol previously wrote, this has raised concerns over how, and if, the Navy will be able to repair its ships during times of war.