I went down a rabbit hole chasing a rumor about a Marine who tried to set the battalion HQ on fire. Here's what I found out

Mandatory Fun
U.S. Marine Corps/Lance Cpl. Shane T. Manson

Earlier this month a tip landed in the inbox for Task & Purpose's Facebook page claiming that a Marine at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, allegedly set fire to an infantry battalion's headquarters.

"And it was intentional," wrote the tipster. "And it apparently is because of op tempo and being annoyed with their command."


That got our attention, so we started digging. There were so many questions that needed to be answered: Who did this? Why did they do it? How big was the fire? And was it as this reporter first suspected, and secretly hoped, that it was some grunt gone rogue who finally decided: If they won't sign my leave papers, I'm burning this bitch down.

media.giphy.com

So off I went. Following the Feb. 14 tip, we reached out to Corps officials that same day, who confirmed that a fire did in fact take place, though they were mum on the size of the blaze.

"We can confirm there was a fire in a building aboard Camp Lejeune," 1st Lt. Thomas Kleiber, a spokesman with 2nd Marine Division Public Affairs, told Task & Purpose via email on Feb. 14. "There were no reported injuries as a result of the fire. The cause of the fire remains under investigation."

Beyond that, the details remained vague, or unavailable due to an ongoing investigation.

Over the next several days I continued to harass unsuspecting public affairs officers, duty NCOs, office clerks, and anyone else at Lejeune unlucky enough to be manning the phones when I called. A Feb. 15 call to the Naval Criminal Investigation Services office that oversees Lejeune went unanswered. As did the message I left for the base court docket that same day, asking if any upcoming cases involved Article 126 (arson), since the online register hadn't been updated since September, 2018, but again, crickets.

Desperate to know more, this reporter returned to the rumor mill, asking around in private Marine Facebook groups if anyone knew of this mystery fire, or the would-be battalion arsonist. Sure, there was speculation, a few recriminations of "FAKE NEWS," an abundance of laughing emojis, and no shortage of belligerent giggling at the thought of a fed up grunt setting fire to some part of his battalion's office, but nothing solid.

Despondent, I braced for my editor in chief's best Ben Bradlee impression as I told him the story was dead, but I was saved at the last second by an official statement from a Marine Corps spokesperson:

"I am able to confirm the fire was located at building HP-111, which houses 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment," Victoria Long, a spokeswoman with Marine Corps Installations East told Task & Purpose via email on Feb. 21. In a follow-up email that same day, Long confirmed that the fire took place on Feb. 11, at around 1 a.m.

Armed with a unit, the date, time, and location, I reached out to the base Provost Marshall's Office, to ask for a copy of the incident report, but I was foiled again, and instructed to submit a Freedom of Information Act Request for the report, which I did on Feb. 22.

Then, on Feb. 25, Task & Purpose was informed by Camp Lejeune's FOIA office that a separate request needed to be submitted to NCIS directly, since they're overseeing the investigation. Thwarted again!

Which brings us to where we are now. As Shawn Snow reported for Marine Corps Times on Sunday, a "mystery fire" took place on Camp Lejeune.

Nearly two weeks of pestering emails and phone calls, and dreams of disgruntled daring-do, that's about all we were able to confirm, too: A fire occurred on Lejeune, around 1 a.m. on Feb 11, at building HP-111, where 1st Battalion, 6th Marines is headquartered, nobody was injured, and an investigation is underway.

For now, the who, how and why remain a mystery.

However, if anyone reading this happens to know what transpired that day, what led to the fire, how big it was, or really anything at all, please for the love of all that is sacred and belligerent in this world, email me at james@taskandpurpose.com.

Unsolved Mysteries Intro & Closing S1E01 (10/5/1988) youtu.be

SEE ALSO: We Salute The Public Affairs Officer Who Simply Tagged This Photo As 'Fire Mortar Boom'

WATCH NEXT: Jack Mandaville's Guide To Vetsplaining

The video opens innocently enough. A bell sounds as we gaze onto a U.S. Navy frigate, safely docked at port at Naval Base San Diego. A cadre of sailors, dressed in "crackerjack" style enlisted dress uniforms and hauling duffel bags over their shoulders, stride up a gangplank aboard the vessel. The officer on deck greets them with a blast of a boatswain's call. It could be the opening scene of a recruitment video for the greatest naval force on the planet.

Then the rhythmic clapping begins.

This is no recruitment video. It's 'In The Navy,' the legendary 1979 hit from disco queens The Village People, shot aboard the very real Knox-class USS Reasoner (FF-1063) frigate. And one of those five Navy sailors who strode up that gangplank during filming was Ronald Beck, at the time a legal yeoman and witness to one of the strangest collisions between the U.S. military and pop culture of the 20th century.

"They picked the ship and they picked us, I don't know why," Beck, who left the Navy in 1982, told Task & Purpose in a phone interview from his Texas home in October. "I was just lucky to be one of 'em picked."

Read More Show Less

Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Tuesday casually brushed aside the disturbing news that, holy shit, MORE THAN 100 ISIS FIGHTERS HAVE ESCAPED FROM JAIL.

In an interview with CNN's Christiane Amanpour, Esper essentially turned this fact into a positive, no doubt impressing public relations and political talking heads everywhere with some truly masterful spin.

"Of the 11,000 or so detainees that were imprisoned in northeast Syria, we've only had reports that a little more than a hundred have escaped," Esper said, adding that the Syrian Democratic Forces were continuing to guard prisons, and the Pentagon had not "seen this big prison break that we all expected."



Well, I feel better. How about you?

On Wednesday, the top U.S. envoy in charge of the global coalition to defeat ISIS said much the same, while adding another cherry on top: The United States has no idea where those 100+ fighters went.

"We do not know where they are," James Jeffrey told members of Congress of the 100+ escaped detainees. ISIS has about 18,000 "members" left in Iraq and Syria, according to recent Pentagon estimates.

A senior administration official told reporters on Wednesday the White House's understanding is that the SDF continues to keep the "vast majority" of ISIS fighters under "lock and key."

"It's obviously a fluid situation on the ground that we're monitoring closely," the official said, adding that released fighters will be "hunted down and recaptured." The official said it was Turkey's responsibility to do so.

President Trump expressed optimism on Wednesday about what was happening on the ground in northeast Syria, when he announced that a ceasefire between Turkey and the Kurds was expected to be made permanent.

"Turkey, Syria, and all forms of the Kurds have been fighting for centuries," Trump said. "We have done them a great service and we've done a great job for all of them — and now we're getting out."

The president boasted that the U.S.-brokered ceasefire had saved the lives of tens of thousands of Kurds "without spilling one drop of American blood."

Trump said that "small number of U.S. troops" would remain in Syria to protect oilfields.


Kade Kurita (U.S. Army photo(

Kade Kurita, the 20-year-old West Point cadet who had been missing since Friday evening, was found dead on Tuesday night, the U.S. Military Academy announced early Wednesday morning.

"We are grieving this loss and our thoughts and prayers go out to Cadet Kurita's family and friends," Lt. Gen. Darryl Williams, superintendent of West Point, said in the release.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article by Matthew Cox originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Army's Next Generation Squad Weapon effort looked a lot more possible this week as the three competing weapons firms displayed their prototype 6.8mm rifles and automatic rifles at the 2019 Association of the United States Army's annual meeting.

Just two months ago, the Army selected General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems inc., Textron Systems and Sig Sauer Inc. for the final phase of the NGSW effort — one of the service's top modernization priorities to replace the 5.56mm M4A1 carbine and the M249 squad automatic weapon in infantry and other close-combat units.

Army officials, as well as the companies in competition, have been guarded about specific details, but the end result will equip combat squads with weapons that fire a specially designed 6.8mm projectile, capable of penetrating enemy body armor at ranges well beyond the current M855A1 5.56mm round.

There have previously been glimpses of weapons from two firms, but this year's AUSA was the first time all three competitors displayed their prototype weapons, which are distinctly different from one another.

Read More Show Less
The Minot Air Force Base main gate (U.S. Air Force photo)

The Air Force is investigating reports that an airman consumed marijuana while assigned to one of the highly-sensitive missile alert facility (MAF) responsible for overseeing Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles at Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota.

Read More Show Less