Dunford reinstates his senior enlisted advisor after investigation finds he violated ethics rules

news

Army Command Sgt. Maj. John W. Troxell has been reinstated as senior enlisted advisor to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff after an investigation found he had violated ethics rules, defense officials announced on Thursday.

An Army Inspector General investigation that finished in late February determined that Troxell had improperly used military personnel to run his personal errands and perform other tasks not associated with their official duties and he endorsed commercial fitness and nutrition products on official social media platforms, a Joint Staff news release says.Troxell received no money or personal gain from these endorsements.


Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, disciplined Troxell administratively and decided to reinstate him, the news release says.

"I carefully weighed the gravity of CSM Troxell's ethics violations against his 37 years of dedicated military service and superb leadership - to include 19 years as a sergeant major," Dunford said in the news release."Appropriate corrective action has been taken and I'm confident that SEAC has learned from this experience. I am equally confident in his competence and capability to continue serving as our senior enlisted leader, which is why I reinstated him to his duties as SEAC. Now it's time to move on and get back to the important work we have before us."

Since September, Troxell has been temporarily reassigned as a special assistant to the Vice Director of the Joint Staff pending the investigation's outcome.

In January 2018, Troxell made news when he told ISIS fighters that if they did not surrender, U.S. troops would beat them to death with their entrenching tools. Within six months, he had received 240 e-tools for him to autograph, his spokesman told Task & Purpose at the time.

"An e-tool manufacturer called him to thank him for his service and to let him know about the surge in e-tool sales," Army Master Sgt. Robert Couture said in a June 6 email. "CSM Troxell receives no proceeds, stock dividends, payment or financial benefit for signing entrenching tools or advocating for their use in annihilating ISIS."

SEE ALSO: 21 Of The Most Epic Combat Beatdowns From US Military History

WATCH NEXT: The Flamethrowers Of Iwo Jima

Roughly a dozen U.S. troops showing concussion-related symptoms are being medically evacuated from Al-Asad Air Base in Iraq to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, a defense official told Task & Purpose on Tuesday.

Read More

In a Galaxy — err, I mean, on a military base far, far away, soldiers are standing in solidarity with galactic freedom fighters.

Sitting at the top of an Army press release from March 2019, regarding the East Africa Response Force's deployment to Gabon, the photo seems, at first glance, just like any other: Soldiers on the move.

But if you look closer at the top right, you'll find something spectacular: A Rebel Alliance flag.

Read More
The maiden flight of the first CMV-22B Osprey took place in Amarillo, Texas (Courtesy photo)

The first of the CMV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft the Navy plans on adopting as its carrier onboard delivery (COD) aircraft of choice has successfully completed its first flight operations, manufacturer Boeing announced on Tuesday.

Read More
A soldier plugs his ears during a live fire mission at Yakima Training Center. Photo: Capt. Leslie Reed/U.S. Army

Another 300 lawsuits against 3M flooded federal courts this month as more military veterans accuse the behemoth manufacturer of knowingly making defective earplugs that caused vets to lose hearing during combat in Iraq or Afghanistan or while training on U.S. military bases.

On another front, 3M also is fighting lawsuits related to a class of chemicals known as PFAS, with the state of Michigan filing a lawsuit last week against the Maplewood-based company.

To date, nearly 2,000 U.S. veterans from Minnesota to California and Texas have filed more than 1,000 lawsuits.

Read More

GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea said on Tuesday it was no longer bound by commitments to halt nuclear and missile testing, blaming the United States' failure to meet a year-end deadline for nuclear talks and "brutal and inhumane" U.S. sanctions.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un set an end-December deadline for denuclearization talks with the United States and White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien said at the time the United States had opened channels of communication.

O'Brien said then he hoped Kim would follow through on denuclearization commitments he made at summits with U.S. President Donald Trump.

Read More