3 Americans Who Foiled Paris Train Attack Awarded French Citizenship

news
French Consul General Emmanuel Lebrun-Damiens, left, honors Spencer Stone, Anthony Sadler, and Alek Skarlatos during a French Naturalization Ceremony in Sacramento, Calif., Thursday, Jan. 31, 2019. (Associated Press/Randall Benton)

The three Americans who thwarted a terrorist attack on a Paris-bound train in 2015 were granted French citizenship on Thursday during a special naturalization ceremony in California, the Sacramento Bee reports.


Spencer Stone, Alek Skarlatos and Anthony Sadler were traveling from Amsterdam to Paris in August 2015 when a man opened fire on passengers. The three childhood friends quickly sprung into action and subdued the attacker after his rifle jammed.

"Our nation will be enriched by your strength, your culture and your personal experiences," Emmanuel Lebrun-Damiens, the consul general of France in San Francisco, per the Sacramento Bee. "Today, France is proud to welcome you into its rich history."

See the Paris train attack heroes celebrate new French citizenship (The Sacramento Bee)

Two of the Paris train heroes are U.S. military veterans, Skarlatos of the Oregon National Guard and Stone of the U.S. Air Force. Stone in particular has cited his Air Force medical training as essential to the first aid he provided wounded passengers during the attack.

"We feel a certain connection with France," Stone said during the naturalization ceremony on Thursday. "It's an honor that they're opening their arms to us like that."

President Barack Obama had previously honored Stone with an Airman's Medal and Purple Heart, while Skarlatos received the Soldier's Medal, per Fox News

The three men played themselves in Clint Eastwood's 2018 film 15:17 to Paris based on their memoir recounting the attack.

SEE ALSO: Three Americans Who Pummeled Terrorist On A Paris-Bound Train Do It Again In New '15:17 to Paris' Trailer

WATCH NEXT: The Official Trailer For '15:17 To Paris'

THE 15:17 TO PARIS - Official Trailer [HD] www.youtube.com

(U.S. Attorney's Office in Maryland)

GREENBELT, Md. (Reuters) - A U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant accused of amassing a cache of weapons and plotting to attack Democratic politicians and journalists was ordered held for two weeks on Thursday while federal prosecutors consider charging him with more crimes.

Read More Show Less
An undated image of Hoda Muthana provided by her attorney, Hassan Shibly. (Associated Press)

Attorneys for the Constitutional Law Center for Muslims in America have filed a lawsuit against Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Attorney General William Barr and President Donald Trump asking the court to recognize the citizenship of an Alabama woman who left the U.S. to join ISIS and allow she and her young son to return to the United States.

Read More Show Less
U.S. soldiers surveil the area during a combined joint patrol in Manbij, Syria, November 1, 2018. Picture taken November 1, 2018. (U.S. Army/Zoe Garbarino/Handout via Reuters)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will leave "a small peacekeeping group" of 200 American troops in Syria for a period of time after a U.S. pullout, the White House said on Thursday, as President Donald Trump pulled back from a complete withdrawal.

Read More Show Less
Construction crews staged material needed for the Santa Teresa Border Wall Replacement project near the Santa Teresa Port of Entry. (U.S. Customs and Border Patrol/Mani Albrecht)

With a legal fight challenge mounting from state governments over the Trump administration's use of a national emergency to construct at the U.S.-Mexico border, the president has kicked his push for the barrier into high gear.

On Wednesday, President Trump tweeted a time-lapse video of wall construction in New Mexico; the next day, he proclaimed that "THE WALL IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW"

But there's a big problem: The footage, which was filmed more than five months ago on Sep. 18, 2018, isn't really new wall construction at all, and certainly not part of the ongoing construction of "the wall" that Trump has been haggling with Congress over.

Read More Show Less
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton

A group comprised of former U.S. military veterans and security contractors who were detained in Haiti on weapons charges has been brought back to the United States and arrested upon landing, The Miami-Herald reported.

The men — five Americans, two Serbs, and one Haitian — were stopped at a Port-au-Prince police checkpoint on Sunday while riding in two vehicles without license plates, according to police. When questioned, the heavily-armed men allegedly told police they were on a "government mission" before being taken into custody.

Read More Show Less