50 US troops now diagnosed with traumatic brain injury from Iranian missile attack

news

The number of U.S. troops diagnosed with Traumatic Brain Injury following Iran's missile attack on Al- Asad Air Base in Iraq now stands at 50, the Defense Department announced on Tuesday.


CNN's Barbara Starr first reported the latest increase in the Pentagon's official tally of service members with concussions as result of the attack had increased from 34 to 50.

Of the 16 additional service members who have been diagnosed with Traumatic Brain Injury, 15 have returned to duty in Iraq, said Pentagon spokesman Army Lt. Col. Thomas Campbell.

It was not immediately known how many of the 50 affected service members have been diagnosed with mild, moderate, or severe traumatic brain injury.

"The department is committed to delivering programs and services intended to lead to the best possible outcomes for our service members who suffer any injury," Campbell said. "As stated previously, this is a snapshot in time and numbers can change. We will continue to provide updates as they become available."

Citing several Pentagon officials, Starr reported the number would likely continue to rise since there were approximately 200 people who were in the blast zone at the time of the attack who have been screened for symptoms.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper has ordered a review of how the military tracks all injuries, including Traumatic Brain Injury, Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said at a Jan. 24 news briefing.

Esper was not made aware of the troops who had been diagnosed with traumatic brain injury until they were medically evacuated to Germany, Hoffman said.

"If you look at the different types of reporting systems that we have, sometimes the administrative reporting of an injury is different than the medical reporting," Hoffman said. "We need to get that clarified."

The Veterans of Foreign Wars has demanded President Donald Trump apologize for initially saying that no U.S. service members were injured following the ballistic missile attack on Al-Asad and subsequently claiming that the service members diagnosed with TBI were not suffering from serious injuries.

You can read the full statement from Lt. Col. Thomas Campbell's below:

The Department of Defense is committed to providing the American people timely and accurate information about the care and treatment of our service members.

The latest update available regarding the treatment and care of service members involved in the attack on al Asad is as follows:
  • 16 additional service members have been diagnosed with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), 15 of which have returned to duty in Iraq.
  • As of today, 50 U.S. service members have been diagnosed with TBI.
  • Of these 50, 31 total service members were treated in Iraq and returned to duty, including 15 of the additional service members who have been diagnosed since the previous report.
  • 18 service members have been transported to Germany for further evaluation and treatment. This is an increase of one service member from the previous report, who had been transported to Germany for other health reasons and has since been diagnosed with a TBI.
  • As previously reported, one service member had been transported to Kuwait and has since returned to duty.
No additional information is available at this time on other whether additional service members have been returned to the U.S.

The department is committed to delivering programs and services intended to lead to the best possible outcomes for our service members who suffer any injury. As stated previously, this is a snap shot in time and numbers can change. We will continue to provide updates as they become available.

Army recruiters hold a swearing-in ceremony for over 40 of Arkansas' Future Soldiers at the Arkansas State Capital Building. (U.S. Army/Amber Osei)

Though the Army has yet to actually set an official recruiting goal for this year, leaders are confident they're going to bring in more soldiers than last year.

Maj. Gen. Frank Muth, head of Army Recruiting Command, told reporters on Wednesday that the Army was currently 2,226 contracts ahead of where it was in 2019.

"I will just tell you that this time last year we were in the red, and now we're in the green which is — the momentum's there and we see it continuing throughout the end of the year," Muth said, adding that the service hit recruiting numbers in February that haven't been hit during that month since 2014.

Read More
(U.S. Marine Corps photo)

Editor's Note: The following is an op-ed. The opinions expressed are those of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Task & Purpose.

We are women veterans who have served in the Army, Navy, and Marine Corps. Our service – as aviators, ship drivers, intelligence analysts, engineers, professors, and diplomats — spans decades. We have served in times of peace and war, separated from our families and loved ones. We are proud of our accomplishments, particularly as many were earned while immersed in a military culture that often ignores and demeans women's contributions. We are veterans.

Yet we recognize that as we grew as leaders over time, we often failed to challenge or even question this culture. It took decades for us to recognize that our individual successes came despite this culture and the damage it caused us and the women who follow in our footsteps. The easier course has always been to tolerate insulting, discriminatory, and harmful behavior toward women veterans and service members and to cling to the idea that 'a few bad apples' do not reflect the attitudes of the whole.

Recent allegations that Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert Wilkie allegedly sought to intentionally discredit a female veteran who reported a sexual assault at a VA medical center allow no such pretense.

Read More
In this June 16, 2018 photo, Taliban fighters greet residents in the Surkhroad district of Nangarhar province, east of Kabul, Afghanistan, (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

KABUL/WASHINGTON/PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - The United States and the Taliban will sign an agreement on Feb. 29 at the end of a week long period of violence reduction in Afghanistan, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and the Taliban said on Friday.

Read More
A U.S. Army UH-60L Black Hawk crew chief with the New Jersey National Guard's 1-171st General Support Aviation Battalion stands for a portrait at the Army Aviation Support Facility on Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J., Feb. 3, 2020 (Air National Guard photo / Master Sgt. Matt Hecht)

Active-duty service members, Reservists and National Guard members often serve side-by-side performing highly skilled and dangerous jobs, such as parachuting, explosives demolition and flight deck operations.

Reservists and Guard members are required to undergo the same training as specialized active-duty troops, and they face the same risks. Yet the extra incentive pay they receive for their work — called hazardous duty incentive pay — is merely a fraction of what their active-duty counterparts receive for performing the same job.

A bipartisan group of lawmakers, led by U.S. Rep. Andy Kim, D-3 of Moorestown, are partnering on legislation to correct the inequity. Known as the Guard and Reserve Hazard Duty Pay Equity Act, the bill seeks to standardize payment of hazardous duty incentive pay for all members of the armed services, including Reserve and National Guard components.

Read More
A screen grab from a YouTube video shows Marines being arrested during formation at Camp Pendleton in July, 2019. (Screen capture)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

Another Marine was hit with jail time and a bad-conduct discharge in connection with a slew of arrests made last summer over suspicions that members of a California-based infantry battalion were transporting people who'd crossed into the U.S. illegally.

Read More