Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Marine Corps opens investigation into another apparent Nazi-loving lance corporal
The Marine Corps is opening an investigation into another lance corporal who seems to be a big fan of Nazis.
This time, the Corps is looking into "derogatory online comments" from Lance Cpl. Mason Mead, an infantry assault-man with 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines in Hawaii, after it was brought to their attention that he had tweeted in praise of Nazis and posted a picture of himself in black face.
Mead — who wrote on his now-deactivated Twitter account, @Jacobite_Edward, that he was a 20-year-old infantryman from Alabama — is being "thoroughly investigated" by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, according to a statement from a Corps spokesman.
Though his account has been deactivated, screenshots and cached versions of his tweets viewed by Task & Purpose show his apparent praise of Nazis and their collaborators during World War II. In one tweet, for example, Mead shared a photo of Spanish dictator General Francisco Franco and a Catholic official putting up a fascist salute, to which he remarked, "I look at this image before sleep and smile."
Another showed a photo of German soldiers holding Catholic Mass before battle during World War II, while others were quotes and photos from Leon Degrelle, a Belgian politician who collaborated with the Nazis.
Besides praising past Nazi leaders, Mead also shared images taken while in Marine uniform, such as one of himself wearing dark camouflage face paint in which he wrote, "hello, fellow black men." Another showed high explosives being formed into a Nazi swastika, which he wrote was "epic."
"The Marine Corps is aware of the derogatory online comments attributed to a Marine with 1st Battalion, 3d Marine Regiment, 3d Marine Division," said 1st Lt. David Mancilla, a Corps spokesman for 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force.
"The Marine Corps takes every instance of misconduct seriously, whether on duty, off duty, or online. Any form of racism or discrimination undermines the core values of the Marine Corps and is not tolerated. NCIS is thoroughly investigating this situation and the command will address any misconduct at the appropriate judicial or administrative level. Due to the nature of the investigation we are unable to provide additional details at this time. We are thankful for the individuals who brought this to our attention."
Mead is not the first alleged white supremacist to be outed among the Corps' ranks in recent years. Lance Cpl. Vasillios Pistolis was found to be a member of a neo-Nazi group who bragged about attacking a woman at "Unite The Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia in 2017. He was later found guilty at court-martial, served time in the brig, and was kicked out in August 2018.
NAVAL BASE SAN DIEGO — Three members of the defense team for Navy SEAL Chief Edward "Eddie" Gallagher were revealed on Wednesday to have close ties to the Trump administration amid reports the president is considering the veteran Navy SEAL for a pardon on Memorial Day.
President Donald Trump's personal attorney, Marc Mukasey, 51, and longtime Trump associate Bernard Kerik, 63, a former New York City police commissioner, have joined Gallagher's defense team in recent months, both men told Task & Purpose on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, in response to a question from a reporter after a motions hearing, lead defense attorney Tim Parlatore confirmed that he had previously represented Pete Hegseth, the conservative Fox News personality who has been privately lobbying Trump since January to pardon Gallagher, according to The Daily Beast.
(Reuters) - John Walker Lindh, the American captured in Afghanistan in 2001 fighting for the Taliban, was released early from federal prison on Thursday, the Washington Post reported, citing Lindh's lawyer.
Lindh, who was 20 years old when he was captured, left prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, on probation after serving 17 years of a 20-year sentence, the newspaper said.
Now 38, Lindh is among dozens of prisoners to be released over the next few years after being captured in Iraq and Afghanistan and convicted of terrorism-related crimes following the attacks on the United States by al Qaeda on Sept. 11, 2001.
Defense officials will brief President Donald Trump's national security team on a plan that involves sending 5,000 more troops to the Middle East to deter Iran, Task & Purpose has learned.
So far, no decisions have been made about whether to send the reinforcements to the region, unnamed U.S. officials told CNN's Barbara Starr.
"The military capabilities being discussed include sending additional ballistic missile defense systems, Tomahawk cruise missiles on submarines, and surface ships with land attack capabilities for striking at a long range," CNN reports. "Specific weapons systems and units have not been identified."
Dashcam video captures the moment a pilot ejected before his F-16 fighter jet slammed into a California warehouse
Dashcam footage from a freeway commuter shows the moment a pilot ejected from an F-16 military jet last week, releasing a parachute before the aircraft slammed into a Riverside County, California warehouse.
Several members of the Marine Corps' famous Silent Drill Platoon were kicked out of the service or punished by their command after someone reported witnessing them using a training rifle to strike someone.
Three Marines have been discharged in the last 60 days and two others lost a rank after the Naval Criminal Investigative Service began looking into hazing allegations inside the revered unit that performs at public events around the world.