Kurdish Forces Reportedly Capture 2 American-Born ISIS Fighters In Syria

news

The U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces have captured two American-born ISIS fighters during an operation in eastern Syria, according to an SDF press release.

Warren Christopher Clark, aka Abu Mohammad al-Ameriki, and Zaid Abed al-Hamid, aka Abu Zaid al-Ameriki, were among five foreigners the SDF said it had nabbed as they were "trying to get out of the war zone."


The SDF said al-Hamid was originally from the United States, but did not specify the city, while Clark was said to be originally from Houston, Texas. A document found in a house in Mosul, Iraq showed that Clark, 33, had allegedly sent a resume and cover letter to ISIS asking for a position "teaching English to students in the Islamic State," according to report from the Program on Extremism at George Washington University published in Feb. 2018.

The Pentagon could not immediately confirm the details of the SDF press release.

"We are aware of open source reports of reportedly American citizens currently in custody who were believed to be fighting for ISIS," Navy Cmdr. Sean Robertson told Task & Purpose. "However, we are unable to confirm this information at this time. The incident is under investigation."

The fighters were captured during an ongoing operation named Jazeera Storm, the SDF said.

SEE ALSO: How The US Went From 'Rapid Withdrawal' To 'No Timeline' In Syria

WATCH NEXT: President Trump Discusses Syria

Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. Robert B. Neller speaks to Marines and guests during the Semper Fidelis Society of Boston Luncheon at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, Nov. 12, 2018. Gen. Neller was the guest of honor and guest speaker. (U.S. Marine Corps/Sgt. Olivia G. Ortiz)

WASHINGTON — The commandant of the Marines has warned the Pentagon that deployments to the southwest border and funding transfers under the president's emergency declaration, among other unexpected demands, have posed "unacceptable risk to Marine Corps combat readiness and solvency."

In two internal memos, Marine Corps Gen. Robert Neller said the "unplanned/unbudgeted" deployment along the border that President Donald Trump ordered last fall, and shifts of other funds to support border security, had forced him to cancel or reduce planned military training in at least five countries, and delay urgent repairs at bases.

Read More Show Less

The Pentagon's chief spokesman is refusing to say whether the last ISIS stronghold in Syria has fallen a day after President Donald Trump announced the caliphate's demise for the fourth time in as many months.

"Wherever ISIS exists, we will continue to pursue them with our partners and allies in the region," Charles Summers told reporters on Thursday at a Pentagon media event.

When asked if the fight to clear ISIS from Syria's Middle Euphrates River Valley has ended, Summers replied, "We continue to fight against ISIS wherever they may be."

He declined to elaborate.

Read More Show Less

Never bring a knife to a gunfight. Unless you're John Wick, in which case you can bring whatever the fuck you want — a pencil, a katana, a stolen horse, a set of antique knives, a crotch rocket, or a pair of flak-jacketed war dogs.

Either way, the result's going to be the same: John Wick is the only one walking away from that fight.

Read More Show Less

Should your friend and humble Pentagon correspondent live for another 50 years, you can expect to read a Pentagon Run-Down in 2069 about how many U.S. troops President George P. Bush III plans to leave in Syria. (Assuming, of course, that Joe Biden doesn't run in 2068.)

That's because current President Donald Trump had vowed to pull all U.S. troops from Syria back in December, but since then has agreed to leave some U.S. service members there. The White House initially said about 200 U.S. troops would remain in Syria, but government officials have since pegged the number at several hundred.

Now the Wall Street Journal is reporting that up to 1,000 U.S. troops could make up the residual force in Syria. The Pentagon pushed back on that story unusually hard, presumably because defense officials are terrified that Trump will think the military is trying to force him to commit more troops to Syria.

Read More Show Less
A Boeing B-52 Stratofortress strategic bomber from the US Air Force Andersen Air Force Base in Guam performs a fly-over at the Singapore Airshow in Singapore February 14, 2012. (Reuters/Tim Chong)

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The Kremlin on Thursday complained that flights by U.S. nuclear-capable B-52 strategic bombers across the Baltic Sea near Russia's borders were creating tensions in the region, but Washington said they were needed to deter potential adversaries.

Read More Show Less