Fort Hood restricts base access after ‘isolated’ shooting incident over the weekend

"This was an isolated and rapidly resolved incident."

Fort Hood has announced increased security efforts at base entry points after a shooting incident over the weekend.

According to a press release, a former soldier allegedly “fired a pistol” in a parking lot while socializing with other soldiers in the early hours of Saturday morning.

The soldier “was immediately disarmed and apprehended without further incident,” according to the Army. No one was injured, according to Army Times.

There is “no ongoing threat,” the release said. “This was an isolated and rapidly resolved incident.”

Hours later, Fort Hood said in another press release that gate access procedures were being changed in order to “enhance the security and public safety of the Fort Hood community.”

As of 6 p.m. on Saturday, and until further notice, there are 100 percent ID checks for anyone entering Fort Hood by vehicle.

All adults who are entering the base in vehicles must have a Defense Department-issued ID, the release says; they cannot be escorted by soldiers and their families.

If anyone does not have a valid ID, they must go through the visitor welcome center on base and obtain a one-time entry pass.

The changes came one day after a security incident at Joint Base Andrews, Md., where a man broke into the base and entered a C-40 aircraft.

Air Force officials have since announced the start of a worldwide review of base security efforts.

Featured photo: Flowers decorate a fence outside of Fort Hood’s east gate on Sunday, April 6, 2014, in Killeen, Texas. (AP Photo/ Tamir Kalifa)

Haley Britzky
Haley Britzky

is the Army reporter for Task & Purpose, covering the daily happenings in the Army and how they impact soldiers and their families, as well as broader national security issues. Originally from Texas, Haley previously worked at Axios before joining Task & Purpose in January 2019. Contact the author here.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information