The Maker Of The AK-47 Just Unveiled A Brand New 7.62mm Assault Rifle
The Russian gun maker of the AK-47 unveiled a brand new rifle on Monday called the AK-308, which it will...
The Russian gun maker of the AK-47 unveiled a brand new rifle on Monday called the AK-308, which it will demonstrate at the Army-2018 Forum on Tuesday.
“The weapon is based on the AK103 submachine gun for the cartridge 7.62×51 mm with elements and components of the AK-12 automatic machine,” Kalashnikov Concern said in a press statement on Monday.
“At the moment, preparations are underway for preliminary testing of weapons,” Kalashnikov added.
The AK-308Kalashnikov Concern
The AK-308 weighs about 9.5 pounds with an empty 20-round magazine, Kalashnikov said. The gun also has a dioptric sight and foldable stock.
At this point, it's unclear if the Russian military will field the new AK-308, but it certainly seems like a possibility.
In January, the Russian military announced it would replace its standard issue AK-74M rifles with AK-12 and AK-15 rifles.
The AK-74M fires a 5.45x39mm round has a 30-round magazine and weighs about 8.6 pounds when fully loaded.
On the other hand, the AK-12 shoots a 5.45x39mm caliber round, and the AK-15 shoots a 7.62x39mm round, according to Kalashnikov. Each of those two weapons with an empty 30-round magazine weighs about 7.7 pounds.
Read more from Business Insider:
- This is how amazing (and deadly) the Mach 6 SR-72 'Son of Blackbird' could be
- Germany wants a new nuclear-capable fighter, and the U.S. may get a say about which one
- Russia just put its military on high alert ahead of massive war games that'll be 'unprecedented in scale'
- As tensions with the U.S. grow, Iran says it has a new defensive weapon on its warships
- There's been a sharp drop in the number of Iraqis who helped U.S. troops admitted to the United States, and the Pentagon is worried'