Trump vows the Navy will not revoke Eddie Gallagher’s SEAL trident

news

President Donald Trump has nixed any effort by the Navy to excommunicate Eddie Gallagher from the SEAL community.

"The Navy will NOT be taking away Warfighter and Navy Seal Eddie Gallagher's Trident Pin," the president tweeted on Thursday. "This case was handled very badly from the beginning. Get back to business!"


Trump's tweet came little more than an hour after Gallagher's attorney Tim Parlatore appeared on 'Fox & Friends' to criticize Rear Adm. Collin Green, the head of Naval Special Warfare Command who had ordered Gallagher to appear before a board that would recommend whether the SEAL would lose his trident.

"What he's doing here is really just an effort to publicly humiliate Chief Gallagher and stick it right in the president's eye,” Parlatore said on 'Fox & Friends.'

Separately, Parlatore has filed a complaint with the Defense Department Inspector General's Office claiming that Green "made clear his contempt" for Trump during the Nov. 18 staff meeting where he announced he was going to take away Gallagher's trident.

Shortly after the president tweeted on Thursday, Parlatore expressed his thanks to Trump, who has also recently restored Gallagher's rank to chief petty officer, lent his personal attorney to Gallagher's legal team, and ordered Gallagher released from pretrial confinement in March.

"We are extremely grateful to the commander in chief for exercising leadership where the Navy failed to," Parlatore said.

In July, a military jury found Gallagher not guilty of killing a wounded ISIS fighter but he was convicted of posing for a photograph with the man's corpse. He had been reduced in rank to first class petty officer, but the White House announced non Nov. 14 that Trump had restored Gallagher's rank and pay grade.

Gallagher had been expected to appear before the board on Dec. 4, but would not beallowed to be represented by an attorney, Parlatore said. It was not immediately clear whether those proceedings will happen.

The latest twist in the Gallagher case could put the Navy's top leadership on a collision course with the president. Both Navy Secretary Richard Spencer and Chief of Naval Operations Mike Gilday have publicly supported Green.

Navy officials deferred questions about Trump's tweet to the White House.


The FBI is treating the recent shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida, as a terrorist attack, several media outlets reported on Sunday.

"We work with the presumption that this was an act of terrorism," USA Today quoted FBI Agent Rachel Rojas as saying at a news conference.

Read More Show Less

WASHINGTON/SEOUL (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un risks losing "everything" if he resumes hostility and his country must denuclearize, after the North said it had carried out a "successful test of great significance."

"Kim Jong Un is too smart and has far too much to lose, everything actually, if he acts in a hostile way. He signed a strong Denuclearization Agreement with me in Singapore," Trump said on Twitter, referring to his first summit with Kim in Singapore in 2018.

"He does not want to void his special relationship with the President of the United States or interfere with the U.S. Presidential Election in November," he said.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Vaughan Dill/Released)

The three sailors whose lives were cut short by a gunman at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida, on Friday "showed exceptional heroism and bravery in the face of evil," said base commander Navy Capt. Tim Kinsella.

Ensign Joshua Kaleb Watson, Airman Mohammed Sameh Haitham, and Airman Apprentice Cameron Scott Walters were killed in the shooting, the Navy has announced.

Read More Show Less

The Pentagon has a credibility problem that is the result of the White House's scorched earth policy against any criticism. As a result, all statements from senior leaders are suspect.

We're beyond the point of defense officials being unable to say for certain whether a dog is a good boy or girl. Now we're at the point where the Pentagon has spent three days trying to knock down a Wall Street Journal story about possible deployments to the Middle East, and they've failed to persuade either the press or Congress.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that the United States was considering deploying up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East to thwart any potential Iranian attacks. The story made clear that President Trump could ultimately decide to send a smaller number of service members, but defense officials have become fixated on the number 14,000 as if it were the only option on the table.

Read More Show Less

This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. – Gen. David Berger, the US Marine Corps commandant, suggested the concerns surrounding a service members' use of questionable Chinese-owned apps like TikTok should be directed against the military's leadership, rather than the individual troops.

Speaking at the Reagan National Defense Forum in Simi Valley, California, on Saturday morning, Berger said the younger generation of troops had a "clearer view" of the technology "than most people give them credit for."

"That said, I'd give us a 'C-minus' or a 'D' in educating the force on the threat of even technology," Berger said. "Because they view it as two pieces of gear, 'I don't see what the big deal is.'"

Read More Show Less