Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
The Navy Just Called Bulls--t On Reports That A US Warship Is Lurking In Syrian Waters
As the world waits to see if President Donald Trump will launch military strikes against Syria, you can count on the media to provide you with nuanced, well-sourced stories that provide context…. Oh, who are we kidding: It’s like watching pigs in shit.
One of the most egregious offenders so far has been CNN Turk, which reported that the destroyer USS Donald Cook is lurking off the Syrian coast, ready to retaliate against a Syrian chemical weapons attack with 60 Tomahawk cruise missiles. CNN Turk also reported that the ship had been buzzed at least four times by Russian aircraft. The story has been aggregated by other media outlets.
On the surface, the story looked like a blatant OPSEC violation. Citing “Pentagon offcials,” CNN Turk did practically everything except tell the Syrians, Russians, Iranians, and Hezbollah where best to hit the Donald Cook with their anti-ship missiles, or at least disrupt their mission.
But according to the Pentagon officials Task & Purpose spoke with, the CNN Turk story is full of more holes than Osama bin Laden’s body.
“There are elements of that story that are just simply not true,” said Navy spokesman Cmdr. Bill Speaks, who called the reporting that the ship had been buzzed by Russian aircraft “competely bogus.”
The Donald Cook is also not in Syrian waters, Speaks told Task & Purpose on Tuesday.
While it is public knowledge that the destroyer recently made a port call to Cyprus, the Navy has been intentionally vague about where the ship is now, a policy that extends to all deployed ships to protect their crews and missions. Speaks declined to say whether the Donald Cook, or any other ship, would be part of possible missions against Syria.
The Navy can confirm when ships leave port on routine deployments, such as Wednesday’s planned departure of the Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group from Norfolk, Virginia, but the sea service never says specifically where ships are headed, he said.
“We have been careful to not get too specific in talking about at sea locations to preserve some strategic ambiguity, and I think we’ve done that,” Speaks said. “We’ll always have reports that we have to deal with that are poorly sourced or just outright false, but I think we’ve been pretty careful to ensure both OPSEC and that we preserve strategic space for the [defense] secretary and the president, in any type of response.”
Speaks also refused to say how many Tomahawk cruise missiles the Donald Cook might be carrying. He added that he has no idea where CNN Turk’s information came from, because no one in the Navy has told media that the ship has 60 Tomahawks.
When asked if the CNN Turk story rises to the level of an OPSEC violation, Speaks said the onus is on the Navy – not the media – to avoid publicizing sensitive information.
“I would never characterize what you guys do as an OPSEC violation,” Speaks said. “Only we can commit OPSEC violations. Reporters don’t. You guys just report.”
The Marine lieutenant colonel who was removed from command of 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in May is accused of lying to investigators looking into allegations of misconduct, according to a copy of his charge sheet provided to Task & Purpose on Monday.
President Donald Trump just can't stop telling stories about former Defense Secretary James Mattis. This time, the president claims Mattis said U.S. troops were so perilously low on ammunition that it would be better to hold off launching a military operation.
"You know, when I came here, three years ago almost, Gen. Mattis told me, 'Sir, we're very low on ammunition,'" Trump recalled on Monday at the White House. "I said, 'That's a horrible thing to say.' I'm not blaming him. I'm not blaming anybody. But that's what he told me because we were in a position with a certain country, I won't say which one; we may have had conflict. And he said to me: 'Sir, if you could, delay it because we're very low on ammunition.'
"And I said: You know what, general, I never want to hear that again from another general," Trump continued. "No president should ever, ever hear that statement: 'We're low on ammunition.'"
This 400-pound feral hog is one of more than 1,200 that have invaded a Texas Air Force base since 2016
At least one Air Force base is waging a slow battle against feral hogs — and way, way more than 30-50 of them.
A Texas trapper announced on Monday that his company had removed roughly 1,200 feral hogs from Joint Base San Antonio property at the behest of the service since 2016.
In a move that could see President Donald Trump set foot on North Korean soil again, Kim Jong Un has invited the U.S. leader to Pyongyang, a South Korean newspaper reported Monday, as the North's Foreign Ministry said it expected stalled nuclear talks to resume "in a few weeks."
A letter from Kim, the second Trump received from the North Korean leader last month, was passed to the U.S. president during the third week of August and came ahead of the North's launch of short-range projectiles on Sept. 10, the South's Joongang Ilbo newspaper reported, citing multiple people familiar with the matter.
In the letter, Kim expressed his willingness to meet the U.S. leader for another summit — a stance that echoed Trump's own remarks just days earlier.
Constant deployments broke the Air Force's B-1 fleet. Now the service is facing a major bomber shortfall
On April 14, 2018, two B-1B Lancer bombers fired off payloads of Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missiles against weapons storage plants in western Syria, part of a shock-and-awe response to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's use of chemical weapons against his citizens that also included strikes from Navy destroyers and submarines.
In all, the two bombers fired 19 JASSMs, successfully eliminating their targets. But the moment would ultimately be one of the last — and certainly most publicized — strategic strikes for the aircraft before operations began to wind down for the entire fleet.
A few months after the Syria strike, Air Force Global Strike Command commander Gen. Tim Ray called the bombers back home. Ray had crunched the data, and determined the non-nuclear B-1 was pushing its capabilities limit. Between 2006 and 2016, the B-1 was the sole bomber tasked continuously in the Middle East. The assignment was spread over three Lancer squadrons that spent one year at home, then six month deployed — back and forth for a decade.
The constant deployments broke the B-1 fleet. It's no longer a question of if, but when the Air Force and Congress will send the aircraft to the Boneyard. But Air Force officials are still arguing the B-1 has value to offer, especially since it's all the service really has until newer bombers hit the flight line in the mid-2020s.