CENTCOM Nominee Admits Afghan Military Would Collapse If US Left

news

Afghanistan’s security forces are taking unsustainable casualties and would collapse if all U.S. troops withdrew, the nominee to lead U.S. Central Command said on Tuesday.


Marine Lt. Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr. told lawmakers that both the U.S. military and Taliban are “in a stalemate,” and that happened to be the most optimistic part of his description of the security situation.

Since 2015, nearly 29,000 Afghan troops and police have been killed, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said earlier this month.

The most important issue facing Afghan security forces right now is improving how they recruit and train the combat forces, McKenzie said during his confirmation hearing.

“Their losses have been very high,” McKenzie said. “They’re fighting hard but their losses are not going to be sustainable unless we correct this problem. I know it has Gen. [Austin] Miller’s direct attention and, if confirmed, it would be something that I would like to work with him on as a matter of great importance.”

While Afghan security forces have shown improvement, they are still too weak to stand on their own, McKenzie said.

On Tuesday, Sen. Gary Peters (D-Mich.) asked McKenzie how much longer it would take until Afghan troops and police could secure their country without the assistance of thousands of U.S. troops.

“They’re not there yet,” McKenzie replied. “If we left precipitously right now, I do not believe they would be able to successfully defend their country. I don’t know how long it’s going to take. I think that one of the things that would actually provide the most damage to them would be if we put a time line on it and we said we were going out at a certain point in time. As we’ve seen when we precipitously withdrew from Iraq earlier, certain effects probably follow from that.”

When Peters asked what the U.S. military is doing differently now compared to the past 17 years, McKenzie said he understood the lawmaker’s frustration, adding that both he and his son have each deployed to Afghanistan twice.

Right now, Afghan troops and police are shouldering the majority of the burden in the fight against the Taliban, he said.

“Americans are still at risk,” McKenzie said. “As we saw tragically last week, Americans are still going to go into harm’s way and some of them may die. But we are no longer doing the fighting. They are doing the fighting — they’re doing it imperfectly, but they are doing it with our assistance. That is actually a new thing.”

One lawmaker posed an existential question on Tuesday when Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) asked McKenzie what the United States should say to the families of Americans and Afghans killed in 2018.

“Sir, what we are doing is we are protecting the homeland of United States from being attacked – that’s what you say to the Americans, and that’s a clear, visible tangible effort that you can honor them for,” McKenzie replied.

“For the Afghans who have died, it’s an attempt to come to a long, peaceful political settlement in their country. I think that too is an honorable goal. I think Afghans and Americans who have died in action in Afghanistan have all been pursuing an honorable and reasonable objective.”

SEE ALSO: Security In Afghanistan Is So Bad That The Media Cared Again For A Few Minutes

WATCH NEXT:

An E-2D Hawkeye assigned to the Bluetails of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 121 lands on the flight deck aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72). (U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Will Hardy)

Editor's Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

While attempting to land on the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln in the Arabian Sea earlier this month, an E-2D Hawkeye propeller aircraft struck two F/A-18 Super Hornet aircraft and sent debris flying into two other F/A-18s on the flight deck, according to the Naval Safety Center.

Read More Show Less

Nobody can be told what The Matrix is; you have to see it for yourself.

More than two decades after The Matrix showed the world what the future of the sci-fi action flick could look like, Warner Bros. Pictures plans on producing a fourth installment of the groundbreaking epic saga, Variety first reported on Tuesday.

Read More Show Less
Sailors from Coastal Riverine Squadron (CRS) 1 conduct category III qualifications on the M2A1 heavy machine gun at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif. CRS-1 is qualifying for future mobilization requirements. (U.S. Navy/Hospital Corpsman 1st Class Kenji Shiroma)

The Navy is considering giving Ma Deuce a quiet new update.

Read More Show Less
A competitor performs push-ups during the physical fitness event at the Minnesota Army National Guard Best Warrior Competition on April 4, 2019, at Camp Ripley, Minnesota. (Minnesota National Guard photo by Sgt. Sebastian Nemec)

Despite what you may have heard, the Army has not declared war on mustaches.

The Army W.T.F! Moments Facebook page on Monday posted a memo written by a 3rd Infantry Division company commander telling his soldiers that only the fittest among them will be allowed to sprout facial hair under their warrior nostrils.

"During my tenure at Battle Company, I have noticed a direct correlation between mustaches and a lack of physical fitness," the memo says. "In an effort to increase the physical fitness of Battle Company, mustaches will not be authorized for any soldier earning less than a 300 on the APFT [Army Physical Fitness Test]."

Read More Show Less
Task & Purpose

I don't always drop everything to spend a few hours with a short, squat Marine, but when I do, you can bet it's for Chesty.

Read More Show Less