Afghan security forces robbed and terrorized US-funded support staff to the tune of $780K

news
Afghan National Army soldiers practice the prone shooting position during a class given by coalition force members on the fundamentals of marksmanship in Farah province, Feb. 14, 2013. (U.S. Marine Corps/Sgt. Chadwick de Bree)

Members of the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces frequently robbed and abused native Afghan personnel hired under three maintenance and operations contracts at ANDSF military bases, according to an alarming new report from the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction, confiscating a total of $780,000 in property and equipment and often detaining workers at gunpoint.

More disturbingly, the Resolute Support mission's Combined Security Transition Command - Afghanistan "has not issued any financial penalties against the ANDSF" for the mistreatment of its O&M because withholding funds, according to the SIGAR report "harms ANDSF forces more than it would tend to change behavior" of corrupt security forces.


The report encompasses three distinct U.S. Army Corps of Engineers contracts for the construction and maintenance of ANDSF facilities across Afghanistan, with a combined value of around $1.14 billion, two of which ran from 2010 to 2015 and a third that ran from 2015 to March 2019.

According to the report, the $780,000 in confiscated inventory included "tools, such as drills, oxygen regulators, welding machines, saws, as well as office supplies including computers, a printer, an air conditioner, and refrigerators, among other things."

In many situations, the USACE personnel were "unable to convince" ANDSF personnel to return stolen equipment, according to the report. When contractor personnel attempted to remove their equipment from work sites, they were "held against their will at gunpoint and locked in containers for extended hours," according to a representative from the contractor Exelis.

In addition, Excelis staff were basically coerced into doing side projects for the ANDSF, "often detained to force the O&M contractors to surrender property or complete O&M work that was outside the scope of the O&M contract and the ANDSF did not have the capability to repair," according to the report.

Exelis told SIGAR it had filled more than 400 incident reports from across 800 facilities to USACE from July 2010 through the end of 2013 alone. According to USACE documentation "only 71 involved assaults, threats, intimidation, contractor detainment, and the confiscation of contractor-owned property across approximately 500 ANDSF supported sites."

Despite reports of rampant abuse and theft, the CSTC-A didn't utilize a "financial levers" strategy it adopted in 2014 to hold U.S. financial contributions as a carrot to Afghan government officials on the ministry level. The reason given to SIGAR is maddening: "CSTC-A's withholding of funding is not an effective tool to change behavior as there is limited ability to tie withheld funds back to the bad actors."

We now go live to the ANDSF barracks:

SEE ALSO: Security In Afghanistan Is So Bad That The Media Cared Again For A Few Minutes

WATCH NEXT: The Trailer for 'Combat Obscura'

"It's kind of like the equivalent of dropping a soda can into canyon and putting on a blindfold and going and finding it, because you can't just look down and see it," diver Jeff Goodreau said of finding the wreck.

The USS Eagle 56 was only five miles off the coast of Maine when it exploded.

The World War I-era patrol boat split in half, then slipped beneath the surface of the North Atlantic. The Eagle 56 had been carrying a crew of 62. Rescuers pulled 13 survivors from the water that day. It was April 23, 1945, just two weeks before the surrender of Nazi Germany.

The U.S. Navy classified the disaster as an accident, attributing the sinking to a blast in the boiler room. In 2001, that ruling was changed to reflect the sinking as a deliberate act of war, perpetuated by German submarine U-853, a u-boat belonging to Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine.

Still, despite the Navy's effort to clarify the circumstances surrounding the sinking, the Eagle 56 lingered as a mystery. The ship had sunk relatively close to shore, but efforts to locate the wreck were futile for decades. No one could find the Eagle 56, a small patrol ship that had come so close to making it back home.

Then, a group of friends and amateur divers decided to try to find the wreck in 2014. After years of fruitless dives and intensive research, New England-based Nomad Exploration Team successfully located the Eagle 56 in June 2018.

Business Insider spoke to two crew members — meat truck driver Jeff Goodreau and Massachusetts Department of Corrections officer Donald Ferrara — about their discovery.

Read More Show Less
(CIA photo)

Before the 5th Special Forces Group's Operational Detachment Alpha 595, before 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment's MH-47E Chinooks, and before the Air Force combat controllers, there were a handful of CIA officers and a buttload of cash.

Read More Show Less

The last time the world saw Marine veteran Austin Tice, he had been taken prisoner by armed men. It was unclear whether his captors were jihadists or allies of Syrian dictator Bashar al Assad who were disguised as Islamic radicals.

Blindfolded and nearly out of breath, Tice spoke in Arabic before breaking into English:"Oh Jesus. Oh Jesus."

That was from a video posted on YouTube on Sept. 26, 2012, several weeks after Tice went missing near Damascus, Syria, while working as a freelance journalist for McClatchy and the Washington Post.

Now that Tice has been held in captivity for more than seven years, reporters who have regular access to President Donald Trump need to start asking him how he is going to bring Tice home.

Read More Show Less

"Shoots like a carbine, holsters like a pistol." That's the pitch behind the new Flux Defense system designed to transform the Army's brand new sidearm into a personal defense weapon.

Read More Show Less

Sometimes a joke just doesn't work.

For example, the Defense Visual Information Distribution Service tweeted and subsequently deleted a Gilbert Gottfried-esque misfire about the "Storm Area 51" movement.

On Friday DVIDSHUB tweeted a picture of a B-2 bomber on the flight line with a formation of airmen in front of it along with the caption: "The last thing #Millenials will see if they attempt the #area51raid today."

Read More Show Less