Pentagon to Congress: Here's every project that could be used to fund Trump's wall. Or not. We don't even know

news

Congress asked the Defense Department for a list of all military construction projects that could be defunded to pay for the wall. Instead, the Pentagon provided lawmakers with a list of every single military construction project that has yet to be awarded a contract — including those that are exempt from being used to pay for the border wall.

Confused? You're not alone.


Here's the backstory: Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.) asked for the list of at risk construction projects on March 14. Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan promised Reed that the Pentagon would give him the list that day – it didn't.

That's because such a list list may not exist in the universe that we live in, as Acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney told CBS' "Face The Nation" on Sunday

But on Monday, after Shanahan told reporters that the list had been provided by Congress (it hadn't), Reed released a 21-page document of military construction projects that is about as clear as mud. It includes barracks construction, which defense officials have repeatedly said will not be cut to pay for the border wall, and facilities for F-35s, which are likely too high a priority to be sacrificed.

The Pentagon included a brief cover letter with helpful clues for members of Congress – and the rest of the public – to try to figure out which military construction projects should not be on the list:

  • "No military construction projects that already have been awarded, and no military construction projects with FY 2019 award dates will be impacted"
  • "No military housing, barracks, or dormitory projects will be impacted.
  • "The pool of potential military construction projects from which funding could be reallocated to support the construction of border barriers are solely projects with award dates after Sept. 30, 2019."

So, if you've got a few hours to kill and you're a rocket scientist, who has read every past statement about Pentagon officials indicating which projects are likely exempt, have fun going through this list and figuring out what might get cut for the border wall.

Read the entire list below:


SEE ALSO: Trump: $6.1 billion in DoD money going to border wall wasn't for anything that seemed 'too important to me'

WATCH NEXT: Border Wall Time Lapse

US Marine Corps

Former Marine Commandant Gen. Charles Krulak has issued a statement urging President Donald Trump and members of Congress to oppose pardons for those accused or convicted of war crimes since, he argued, it would "relinquish the United States' moral high ground."

"If President Trump follows through on reports that he will mark Memorial Day by pardoning individuals accused or convicted of war crimes, he will betray these ideals and undermine decades of precedent in American military justice that has contributed to making our country's fighting forces the envy of the world," said Krulak, who served in the Marine Corps for more than three decades before retiring in 1999 as the 31st Commandant.

Read More Show Less

President Donald Trump will nominate Barbara Barrett to serve as the next Air Force secretary, the president announced on Tuesday.

"I am pleased to announce my nomination of Barbara Barrett of Arizona, and former Chairman of the Aerospace Corporation, to be the next Secretary of the Air Force," Trump tweeted. "She will be an outstanding Secretary! #FlyFightWin"

Read More Show Less

The Trump administration is trying to assure Congress that it does not want to start a war with Iran, but some lawmakers who fought in Iraq are not so sure.

Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford both briefed Congress on Tuesday about Iran. Shanahan told reporters earlier on Tuesday that the U.S. military buildup in the region has stopped Iran and its proxies from attacking U.S. forces, but the crisis is not yet over.

"We've put on hold the potential for attacks on Americans," Shanahan said. "That doesn't mean that the threats that we've previously identified have gone away. Our prudent response, I think, has given the Iranians time to recalculate. I think our response was a measure of our will and our resolve that we will protect our people and our interests in the region."

Read More Show Less
U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Brian M. Wilbur/Handout via REUTERS

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump warned on Monday Iran would be met with "great force" if it attacked U.S. interests in the Middle East, and government sources said Washington strongly suspects Shi'ite militias with ties to Tehran were behind a rocket attack in Baghdad's Green Zone.

"I think Iran would be making a very big mistake if they did anything," Trump told reporters as he left the White House on Monday evening for an event in Pennsylvania. "If they do something, it will be met with great force but we have no indication that they will."

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Army photo)

After a year and a half since the Army took delivery on the first of its souped-up new version of the M1 Abrams main battle tank, the Pentagon's Joint Systems Manufacturing Center in Lima, Ohio is ramping up to deliver the service's first full brigade of upgraded warhorses to bring the pain downrange.

Read More Show Less