Nellis Air Force Base Had The Most Bizarre Security Breach Of The Year

news
The main welcome sign at Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada
U.S. Air Force photo

To close out an unusually busy year of attempted security breaches at military installations in the continental United States, Nellis Air Force experienced what a leaked operational report characterized as an alleged abduction and sexual assault involving a civilian vehicle that reportedly breezed through the base's main gate earlier this week.


The operational report, obtained and published on the influential Air Force amn/nco/snco Facebook page, details an early morning security breach on Tuesday in which a white Mercedes Benz entered the base without being stopped by security forces.

Shortly afterward, the Nellis base defense operations center allegedly "received a phone call from on-base personnel who stated that a female civilian approached them and said she was kidnapped and assaulted by a male civilian" inside of a vehicle that matched the description of the Benz.

That, according to the operational report, is where things got out of control (emphasis ours):

Due to both being civilians, local PD took over the case with support from OSI. During interviews conducted by local PD, the victim recanted her statement and refused to press charges. Local PD then turned the case back over to SF who gained authorization to search the vehicle. After negative findings, SF removed the vehicle from the installation. Local PD took the suspect into custody for an active warrant and the alleged victim was released on her own recognizance due to there no longer being sufficient evidence of kidnapping or sexual assault.

This report was delayed for multiple reasons, initially the alleged victim reported a second assailant which SF personnel searched for resulting in a person matching the description being detained. During the interview of that suspect, the alleged victim recanted her statement that a second assailant was involved. Further, video tape of the main gate guard shack was reviewed to determine how the personnel gained access. Lastly, a thorough search of the vehicle was performed.

In a statement to Task & Purpose, Nellis Air Force Base spokesman Rebekah Mattes confirmed that the breach occurred on Tuesday, stating that Nellis BDOC personnel sprang into action after receiving a call from two airmen "reporting they were approached by an individual who claimed to have been kidnapped and sexually assaulted."

"[The] 99th Security Forces Squadron Defenders immediately responded to the victim, who provided a description of her alleged assailant’s vehicle," Mattes told Task & Purpose, confirming that security forces personnel quickly discovered the vehicle and suspect within the base.

"Further investigation showed neither individual was authorized to be on Nellis Air Force Base at which point Las Vegas Metro Police Department was called in," she added. "Both individuals were turned over to [the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department] for questioning and investigation into the allegations."

The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment from Task & Purpose.

Questions still remain regarding details of the breach. The leaked operational report claims that security forces personnel "failed to stop the vehicle or initiate gate runner procedures," after which the posted sentry "proceeded back into his post and did not inform the other two sentries who were posted with him."

Mattes confirmed that security forces stationed at the main gate at the time have been placed on administrative duties pending the outcome of an investigation into the incident.

"Proper entry procedures were not followed," Mattes told Task & Purpose.

But despite a separate claim from an unnamed witness, posted on Wednesday to the Air Force amn/nco/snco Facebook page, that the alleged victim "ran to a group of maintainers along the flight line" to report the assault, Mattes asserted that the flight line was never breached and "[at] no point were aircraft, classified information, or personnel threatened."

"The 99th Air Base Wing takes installation security very seriously and is looking into the matter and examining what processes may need to change to further bolster security," Mattes said in a statement. "The investigation into how the individuals gained access to Nellis is ongoing and more information is not available at this time."

On the upside, at least nobody burst into flames this time.

SEE ALSO: What’s With All These People Suddenly Trying To Breach Security At U.S. Military Bases?

WATCH NEXT:

Maj. Matthew Golsteyn in Afghanistan. (Photo courtesy of Philip Stackhouse.)

Nearly a decade after he allegedly murdered an unarmed Afghan civilian during a 2010 deployment, the case of Army Maj. Matthew Golsteyn is finally going to trial.

Read More Show Less
In this May 28, 2019 file photo, Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, the Taliban group's top political leader, second left, arrives with other members of the Taliban delegation for talks in Moscow, Russia. (Associated Press/Alexander Zemlianichenko)

PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - The Taliban have sent a delegation to Russia to discuss prospects for a withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan following the collapse of talks with the United States this month, officials from the insurgent group said.

The move, days after President Donald Trump canceled a planned meeting with Taliban leaders at his Camp David retreat, came as the movement looks to bolster regional support, with visits also planned for China, Iran and Central Asian states.

Read More Show Less
Joe Heller (Legacy.com)

Per his final demands, Joe Heller was laid in his casket Thursday in a T-shirt featuring the Disney dwarf Grumpy and the middle finger of his right hand extended. He also told his daughters to make sure and place a remote control fart machine in the coffin with him.

"My father always wanted the last laugh," daughter Monique Heller said.

The Essex volunteer firefighter and self-described local "dawg kecher" died on Sept. 8 at age 82, and the off-color obituary written by his youngest daughter has become a nationwide sensation — a lead item on cable news sites, a top story on The Courant's website and a post shared far and wide on social media.

Laced with bawdy humor, the irreverent but loving obit captured Heller's highly inappropriate nature and his golden heart, friends who filled the fire station for a celebration of his life on Thursday evening said.

Read More Show Less

A 19-year-old man who planned a July mass shooting at a West Lubbock hotel that was thwarted by his grandmother was upset that he was considered "defective" by the military when he was discharged for his mental illness, according to court records.

William Patrick Williams faces federal charges for reportedly lying on an application to buy the semiautomatic rifle he planned to use in a shooting, according to a federal indictment filed Aug. 14.

He is charged with a federal felony count of making a false material statement during the purchase of a firearm on July 11, a day before he planned to lure people out of a hotel and shoot them. The charge carries a punishment of up to five years in prison.

Read More Show Less
A photograph circulated by the U.S. State Department's Twitter account to announce a $1 million USD reward for al Qaeda key leader Hamza bin Laden, son of Osama bin Laden, is seen March 1, 2019. (State Department via Reuters)

Reuters) - Hamza bin Laden, a son of slain al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden and himself a notable figure in the militant group, was killed in a U.S. counter-terrorism operation, the White House said on Saturday.

Read More Show Less