Army National Guard photo by Sgt. 1st Class Jim Greenhill
Former UFC fighter Tim Kennedy retired from the Octagon in 2017, but he is ready and raring to dish out pain under the command of retired Marine Corps Gen. Jim Mattis.
Mattis — now the secretary of defense — and Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster, the current national security advisor, were key motivators in Kennedy’s decision to re-enlist as an Army Green Beret after eight years in the Texas National Guard.
“When Donald Trump starts putting guys like Gen. Mattis and Gen. McMaster in my chain of command, dude, let me tell you how good my life is about to get,” Kennedy told TMZ Sports. “I’m pumped to work for these guys.”
Kennedy, who served on active duty with Special Forces from 2004 to 2009, transferred to the Texas Guard while pursuing his MMA career.
Kennedy told TMZ he was thrilled about the recent change in posture regarding U.S. national security strategy.
“[Mattis and McMaster] are brilliant strategists,” Kennedy said. “They are the leaders that we haven’t had for 70 years.
With two leaders of that caliber guiding the military, Kennedy believes national security strategy is headed in the right direction, particularly in Syria.
“You dropped chemical weapons on some kids and women, we’re going to shoot 60 Tomahawks at your face,” he said. “It’s not like lip service.”
But more than anything about his decision to reenlist, Kennedy says he’s excited to win.
“I do believe that Donald Trump likes to win,” he said. “I don’t agree with his politics; sometimes I don’t agree with his policies, but that guy likes to win. He maybe hates losing more than anything I can imagine.”
If Hillary Clinton had won, Kennedy said he might have had a different outlook on returning to the battlefield. “I couldn’t imagine having to work like that for another four to eight years,” he said.
To prove that he’s ready to fight, Kennedy took TMZ on a tour of his home to show of the arsenal he’s accumulated over the last few years.
Look out, ISIS: Kennedy is locked, loaded, and ready to bring the pain to your doorstep.
Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.
Retired U.S. Army Lt. Col. Charles Kettles was awarded the Medal of Honor July 18, 2016, for his actions while serving as a Flight Commander assigned to the 176th Aviation Company (Airmobile) (Light), 14th Combat Aviation Battalion, Americal Division. Then-Maj. Kettles distinguished himself in combat operations near Duc Pho, Republic of Vietnam, on May 15, 1967. (U.S. Army/Spc. Tammy Nooner)
by Martin Slagter, The Ann Arbor News, Mich.
YPSILANTI, MI - When a brigade of U.S. troops was ambushed by the North Vietnamese Army in the Song Tra Cau riverbed on the morning of May 15, 1967, Lt. Charles Kettles volunteered to lead the rescue, and he refused, again and again, to back down when faced with a barrage of gunfire.
His aircraft badly damaged, left spilling fuel, and his gunner was severely injured during the treacherous operation.
But he helicoptered in and out of the battlefield four times, saving the lives of 44 soldiers in a death-defying emergency operation that would become a legendary tale of bravery in the Vietnam War.
The M160 Robotic Mine Flail at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. Photo: Maj. Dan Marchik/U.S. Army
The battlefield of the future could feature robot medics delivering life-saving care to casualties in the line of fire. At least, that's what the Army is aiming for — and it's willing to pay millions for help doing it.
A Chinese tank rolls at the training ground "Tsugol", about 250 kilometers (156 miles ) south-east of the city of Chita during the military exercises Vostok 2018 in Eastern Siberia, Russia, Thursday, Sept. 13, 2018 (Associated Press/Sergei Grits)
China is developing a lot of new and advanced weaponry, but a recent state media report suggests the Chinese military may not be entirely sure what to do with these new combat systems.
The commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard called the ongoing partial government shutdown "unacceptable" following reports that some Coast Guardsmen are relying on donations from food pantries while their regular paychecks remain on hold.
"We're five-plus weeks into the anxiety and stress of this government lapse and your non-pay," Adm. Karl Schultz said in a video message to service members. "You, as members of the armed forces, should not be expected to shoulder this burden."