Top Air Force general just gave a gift to Area 51 conspiracy theorists

news
Area 51 is Hiring

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein transformed into the Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files" on Tuesday when explaining why UFO enthusiasts should avoid storming the mythical Area 51 installation in Nevada.

"All joking aside, we're taking it very seriously," Goldfein told reporters during the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. "Our nation has secrets, and those secrets deserve to be protected. The people deserve to have our nation's secrets protected."


More than 2 million people have indicated on Facebook that they are taking part in the "Storm Area 51" event, which is expected to take place on Sept. 20. Even though the college student who started the social media phenomenon – which was meant as a joke – will no longer participate in the event, it is possible that UFO enthusiasts might still try to trespass on Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada.

As Goldfein and Acting Air Force Secretary Matthew Donovan spoke to reporters during the AFA conference on Tuesday, it was clear that some brave soul would have to broach the topic of whether the Air Force was prepared for the army of conspiracy theorists that might descend on Nevada looking for proof of extraterrestrial intelligence.

Normally, Task & Purpose asks U.S. military officials about aliens, but this time it was fearless Defense News reporter Valerie Insinna who stuck a truth probe right into the Air Force's anus by pressing the service's top leaders about whether they take the "Storm Area 51" movement seriously.

Goldfein said that he has spoken with Air Force Gen. Terrence J. O'Shaughnessy, head of U.S. Northern Command, about protecting the Air Force bases that UFO enthusiasts believe harbor alien secrets. Donovan said he and Congressional staffers have been briefed by the Air Force's operations staff about what they are doing to prepare for the gathering storm.

"They're coordinating throughout the interagency," Donovan said. "They're working with local law enforcement. They have, I think, a very good plan."

"Now, I understand the organizer came up and said, 'Oh, it's cancelled,'" Donovan continued. "But there's still a lot of media attention out in Las Vegas, so they expect that some folks that are going to show up there. We're prepared. We have provided them with additional security personnel as well as additional barricades and that sort of thing, because as the chief sad: We're taking it very seriously."

Undaunted, Insinna asked Goldfein directly if the "secrets" that need to be protected include aliens.

Goldfein did not issue an outright denial. Instead, he referenced an incident years ago when eccentric billionaire Richard Branson flew a UFO-shaped balloon over London along with a short employee wearing an alien costume.

"I'm actually looking for the very small airman I can put in the E.T. uniform," Goldfein said, referring to Steven Spielberg's 1982 film.

UPDATE: This story was updated on Sept. 17 to clarify Gen. Goldfein's last quote.

Soldiers from the 1-118th Field Artillery Regiment of the 48th Infantry Brigade Combat Team fire an M777 Howitzer during a fire mission in Southern Afghanistan, June 10th, 2019. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Jordan Trent)

Once again, the United States and the Taliban are apparently close to striking a peace deal. Such a peace agreement has been rumored to be in the works longer than the latest "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" sequel. (The difference is Keanu Reeves has fewer f**ks to give than U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad.)

Both sides appeared to be close to reaching an agreement in September until the Taliban took credit for an attack that killed Army Sgt. 1st Class Elis A. Barreto Ortiz, of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division. That prompted President Donald Trump to angrily cancel a planned summit with the Taliban that had been scheduled to take place at Camp David, Maryland, on Sept. 8.

Now Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen has told a Pakistani newspaper that he is "optimistic" that the Taliban could reach an agreement with U.S. negotiators by the end of January.

Read More
Audie Murphy (U.S. Army photo)

Editor's note: a version of this post first appeared in 2018

On January 26, 1945, the most decorated U.S. service member of World War II earned his legacy in a fiery fashion.

Read More
A Purple Heart (DoD photo)

Florida's two senators are pushing the Defense Department to award Purple Hearts to the U.S. service members wounded in the December shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola.

Read More
Ships from Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 23 transit the Pacific Ocean Jan. 22, 2020. DESRON 23, part of the Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group, is on a scheduled deployment to the Indo-Pacific. (U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Erick A. Parsons)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The Navy and Marine Corps need to be a bit more short-sighted when assessing how many ships they need, the acting Navy secretary said this week.

The Navy Department is in the middle of a new force-structure review, which could change the number and types of ships the sea services say they'll need to fight future conflicts. But instead of trying to project what they will need three decades out, which has been the case in past assessments, acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said the services will take a shorter view.

"I don't know what the threat's going to be 30 years from now, but if we're building a force structure for 30 years from now, I would suggest we're probably not building the right one," he said Friday at a National Defense Industrial Association event.

The Navy completed its last force-structure assessment in 2016. That 30-year plan called for a 355-ship fleet.

Read More
Master-at-Arms 3rd Class Oscar Temores and his family. (GoFundMe)

When Oscar Jesus Temores showed up to work at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story each day, his colleagues in base security knew they were in for a treat.

Temores was a master-at-arms who loved his job and cracking corny jokes.

"He just he just had that personality that you can go up to him and talk to him about anything. It was goofy and weird, and he always had jokes," said Petty Officer 3rd Class Derek Lopez, a fellow base patrolman. "Sometimes he'd make you cry from laughter and other times you'd just want to cringe because of how dumb his joke was. But that's what made him more approachable and easy to be around."

That ability to make others laugh and put people at ease is just one of the ways Temores is remembered by his colleagues. It has been seven weeks since the 23-year-old married father of one was killed when a civilian intruder crashed his pickup truck into Temores' vehicle at Fort Story.

Read More