Beloved Army veteran among those killed in El Paso shooting

news

Arturo Benavides

(GoFundMe photo)

Former Army Staff Sgt. Arturo Benavides, 60, has been identified as one of the victims of the El Paso shooting that left 22 people dead over the weekend.


First reported by the Los Angeles Times and Military.com, Benavides was in line at the Walmart in El Paso on Saturday when the 21-year-old gunman opened fire on shoppers.

His wife, Patricia, survived after being "pushed into a handicapped bathroom," per the Times.

Benavides, born and raised in El Paso, served in the Army from June 1978 to January 1984, and then in the Texas National Guard from February 1984 to June 2001, Army spokesman Lt. Col. Emanuel Ortiz told Task & Purpose. He worked as a motor transportation operator, cargo specialist, and a Hawk missile crewman.

He was awarded the Army Achievement Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, and more — including the Texas Guard-specific Adjutant General Individual Award.

Benavides and his wife typically went to Walmart to do their weekly shopping after going to church on Sundays, according to reports, but he decided to do it a day early on Saturday.

The couple did not have children, though his niece and goddaughter, Jacklin Luna, told the Times that Benavides "was kind, generous, always willing to give everyone the shirt off his back."

"I spent my childhood waking up at their house, sitting out on the front porch with him on Sunday mornings, listening to the oldies on the radio," Luna said.

He was a Dallas Cowboys fan, a "good Catholic," and "easygoing," the Los Angeles Times reports.

His nephew, Jimmy Cervantes, told the Times that he used to go with his uncle a few times a week to Ft. Bliss in El Paso, and that Benavides loved being back around soldiers.

"He was a cheerful guy, always telling stories about his war days. ... The same stories every time. That used to be his battalion. He loved being out there and chitchatting with people. He would start talking with everyone."

A GoFundMe has been launched to help raise money for his wife, and has raised around $6,500 so far — surpassing its $5,000 goal.

The maiden flight of the first CMV-22B Osprey took place in Amarillo, Texas (Courtesy photo)

The first of the CMV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft the Navy plans on adopting as its carrier onboard delivery (COD) aircraft of choice has successfully completed its first flight operations, manufacturer Boeing announced on Tuesday.

Read More
Naval Air Station Pensacola provides security for the Active investigation area onboard NAS Pensacola December 9, 2019. (Navy photo/Chief Mass Communication Specialist Dan Mennuto)

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Department of Defense has released some information on its revamped approach to vetting and security concerns for foreign military students in the United States.

Some initial information came Friday, a few days before Secretary of Defense Mark Esper's visit to Naval Air Station Pensacola to discuss new vetting and security procedures with installation leadership.

The DoD began its review of those procedures following the Dec. 6 shooting at NAS Pensacola that left three people dead and eight others injured. The gunman, 21-year-old Saudi lieutenant Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, a flight student, was fatally shot by an Escambia County sheriff's deputy.

Read More

In a Galaxy — err, I mean, on a military base far, far away, soldiers are standing in solidarity with galactic freedom fighters.

Sitting at the top of an Army press release from March 2019, regarding the East Africa Response Force's deployment to Gabon, the photo seems, at first glance, just like any other: Soldiers on the move.

But if you look closer at the top right, you'll find something spectacular: A Rebel Alliance flag.

Read More

Three sailors from the aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower have been charged in connection with the Dec. 17 brawl at a holiday party in Norfolk, Virginia, that was caught on video.

Read More
U.S. President Donald Trump waves as he arrives for the 50th World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos, Switzerland, January 21, 2020. (REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst)

DUBAI (Reuters) - An Iranian lawmaker offered a $3 million reward to anyone who killed U.S. President Donald Trump and said Iran could avoid threats if it had nuclear arms, ISNA news agency reported on Tuesday amid Tehran's latest standoff with Washington.

U.S. disarmament ambassador Robert Wood dismissed the reward as "ridiculous", telling reporters in Geneva it showed the "terrorist underpinnings" of Iran's establishment.

Read More