Top American General In Afghanistan Survives Insider Attack That Wiped Out Senior Afghan Officials

news

An apparent insider attack has essentially wiped out the top leadership of Afghanistan's Kandahar province.


Kandahar's police chief, Gen. Abdul Raziq, and intelligence chief were killed in the attack, according to The New York Times. Initial reports suggested that the provincial governor, Zalmay Wesa, was also killed, but he is currently being treated "at a Resolute Support treatment facility," a spokesman said.

One of the governor's bodyguards reportedly opened fire after a meeting at the governor's office, according to Afghanistan's TOLO News. The Taliban claimed responsibility for Thursday's attack, which it said targeted top American commander Gen. Austin "Scott" Miller, who was present at the meeting.

Miller was not injured by the gunman, Col. Knut Peters, a Resolute Support spokesman, told Task & Purpose.

Twitter

"There was a situation at the Kandahar palace today. Initial reports indicate this was an Afghan-on-Afghan incident," Peters said.

Peters’ colleague Army Col. Dave Butler tweeted that one U.S. service member and two contractors had been wounded in the shooting. One of the contractors is American. They were listed as stable and had been medically evacuated. Butler also said the attacker was dead.

Butler, who witnessed Thursday’s shooting, disputed the Taliban’s claim that they had targeted Miller.

“The shooter aimed and shot Lt. Gen. Raziq,” Butler told Task & Purpose in an email.

In a series of tweets, Butler said the U.S. personnel were wounded in the crossfire.

The Afghan Ministry of Defense did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Task & Purpose.

Butler tweeted a statement from Miller on Thursday about the death of Raziq, an important U.S. ally in southern Afghanistan.

“Today I lost a great friend Lt. Gen. Raziq,” Miller said. “We had served together for many years. Afghanistan lost a patriot, my condolences to the people of Afghanistan. The good he did for Afghanistan and the Afghan people cannot be undone.”

Correction: An earlier version of this story said the Kandahar Governor had been killed. The story has been updated to reflect that he was wounded, and is currently hospitalized.

SEE ALSO: Afghanistan, 17 Years Later: This Is What Winning Looks Like

Photo: Lance Cpl. Taylor Cooper

The Marine lieutenant colonel removed from command of the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in May was ousted over alleged "misconduct" but has not been charged with a crime, Task & Purpose has learned.

Lt. Col. Francisco Zavala, 42, who was removed from his post by the commanding general of 1st Marine Division on May 7, has since been reassigned to the command element of 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, and a decision on whether he will be charged is "still pending," MEF spokeswoman 1st Lt. Virginia Burger told Task & Purpose last week.

"We are not aware of any ongoing or additional investigations of Lt. Col. Zavala at this time," MEF spokesman 2nd Lt. Brian Tuthill told Task & Purpose on Monday. "The command investigation was closed May 14 and the alleged misconduct concerns Articles 128 and 133 of the UCMJ," Tuthill added, mentioning offenses under military law that deal with assault and conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman.

"There is a period of due process afforded the accused and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty," he said.

When asked for an explanation for the delay, MEF officials directed Task & Purpose to contact 1st Marine Division officials, who did not respond before deadline.

The investigation of Zavala, completed on May 3 and released to Task & Purpose in response to a Freedom of Information Act request, showed that he had allegedly acted inappropriately. The report also confirmed some details of his wife's account of alleged domestic violence that Task & Purpose first reported last month.

Read More Show Less
Photo: U.S. Army

A soldier was killed, and another injured, after a Humvee roll-over on Friday in Alaska's Yukon Training Area, the Army announced on Monday.

Read More Show Less
Staff Sgt. Daniel Christopher Evans was arrested on Jan. 29, 2018. (Photo courtesy of Wilmington Police Department, North Carolina.)

A Marine Raider convicted in a North Carolina court of misdemeanor assault for punching his girlfriend won't spend any time in jail unless he violates the terms of his probation, a court official told Task & Purpose.

On Monday, Staff Sgt. Daniel Christopher Evans received a suspended sentence of 60 days in jail, said Samantha Dooies, an assistant to the New Hanover County District Attorney.

Evans must complete 18 months of unsupervised probation, pay $8,000 in restitution, complete a domestic violence offenders program, and he cannot have any contact with his former girlfriend, Dooies told Task & Purpose. The special operations Marine is also only allowed to have access to firearms though the military while on base or deployed.

Read More Show Less
Photo: Facebook

A former Army infantryman was killed on Monday after he opened fire outside a Dallas, Texas federal building.

Read More Show Less

That's right, Superman is (at least temporarily) trading in his red cape, blue tights, and red silk underpants for a high and tight, a skivvy shirt and, well, he's still rocking silkies.

Read More Show Less