Retired Navy Admiral Gets Off Light In Bribery Scandal

news

A retired two-star Navy admiral has received the lightest of slaps on the wrist after an investigation found he asked for and received gifts from a defense contractor, to whom he gave lucrative information.


Mark Montgomery, who retired in 2017, is the latest officer to be tied to Leonard Francis – whose nickname “Fat Leonard” has become synonymous with a culture of corruption within the Navy that was tolerated at the service’s highest levels.

Navy Secretary Richard Spencer determined that Montgomery committed graft and other offenses from 2007 and 2009 while he led Destroyer Squadron 15 based out of Yokosuka, Japan, said Cmdr. Jereal Dorsey, a Navy spokesman. Montgomery also provided a false official statement to Navy officials about his relationship with Francis in 2018.

For his actions, Montgomery has received a letter of censure, Dorsey told Task & Purpose.

Washington Post reporter Craig Whitlock first reported on Monday that the Navy had officially censured Montgomery. Earlier in November, the White House rescinded Montgomery’s nomination to serve in the U.S. Agency for International Development without an explanation.

A letter of censure is the lightest form of punishment that Montgomery could have received, said retired Marine Lt. Col. Guy Womack, a Houston-based defense attorney, who represents service members.

“He will continue to draw his full pay of the rank at which he retired and enjoy all of the other benefits that he otherwise would get his for his service and his rank,” Womack told Task & Purpose on Monday.

“In essence, the letter of censure is a meaningless gesture. No one will ever see it. It doesn’t go into any kind of civilian record. It really is just like sending in a hate letter. It has absolutely no consequence to him at all.”

White House spokespeople did not respond to multiple requests for comment from Task & Purpose. Montgomery could not be reached for a response on Monday.

SEE ALSO: The Cash, Bribery, And Prostitution Scandal That Continues To Haunt The Navy

WATCH NEXT:

CAMP PENDLETON — The military prosecution of a Coast Guardsman accused of murder began Wednesday with a preliminary hearing at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.

Seaman Ethan W. Tucker, 21, was arrested August 28 after a seven-month Coast Guard investigation into the January death of Seaman Ethan Kelch, 19, who served on the same ship as Tucker— the Kodiak, Alaska-based high endurance cutter Douglas Munro.

Read More Show Less

ANKARA (Reuters) - President Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday Turkey would press on with its offensive into northeastern Syria and "crush the heads of terrorists" if a deal with Washington on the withdrawal of Kurdish fighters from the area were not fully implemented.

Erdogan agreed on Thursday in talks with U.S. Vice President Mike Pence a five-day pause in the offensive to allow time for the Kurdish fighters to withdraw from a "safe zone" Turkey aims to establish in northeast Syria near the Turkish border.

Read More Show Less

President Trump stoked confusion Friday by declaring the U.S. has "secured the Oil" in the Middle East amid continued fallout from the Turkish invasion of northern Syria that he enabled by pulling American troops out of the region.

It wasn't immediately clear what the president was talking about, as there were no publicly known developments in Syria or elsewhere in the Middle East relating to oil. White House aides did not return requests for comment.

Read More Show Less

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. State Department investigation of Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server while she was secretary of state has found no evidence of deliberate mishandling of classified information by department employees.

The investigation, the results of which were released on Friday by Republican U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley's office, centered on whether Clinton, who served as the top U.S. diplomat from 2009 to 2013, jeopardized classified information by using a private email server rather than a government one.

Read More Show Less

BYESVILLE — A Meadowbrook High School student removed from class last Friday for being intoxicated is now facing a felony charge after allegedly threatening to shoot people if the previous incident harmed his chances to join a branch of the United States military.

Gabriel D. Blackledge, 18, of Cambridge, is facing one count of making terrorist threats, a third-degree felony, filed by the Guernsey County Sheriff's Office on Thursday. Blackledge remained incarcerated in the county jail on a $250,000 bond with no 10 percent allowed, according to the sheriff's office's website.

Read More Show Less