Retired Special Forces soldier killed in Afghanistan while working as a defense contractor

news

Retired Army Chief Warrant Officer 4 Christian McCoy was killed on June 24 while working as a military contractor in Afghanistan, Task & Purpose has confirmed.


McCoy's Army career spanned just over 30 years and included five combat deployments, according to the Army. He was on active-duty from 1988 to 1995; then he served in the Virginia National Guard from 1995 to 1997 before returning to active-duty from 1997 to 2018. Among his many awards are the Special Forces Tab, Rangers Tab, Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star with "V" device, and Defense Meritorious Service Medal.

He is the second contractor to be killed in Afghanistan in a week, after Navy veteran Kevin Yali was killed on June 19th.

Newsweek reporter James LaPorta was first to bring McCoy's death to light. McCoy reportedly joined Special Forces in 1993; he deployed once to Iraq and four times to Afghanistan between 2007 and 2014.

Details of McCoy's death remain uncertain. A Defense Department source told Newsweek that "a Mine-Resistant Armored Vehicle was damaged along with two remote-controlled weapon systems" at the time of McCoy's death. McCoy was on a Joint Expeditionary Team, which is "designed to counter the efforts of improvised explosive device manufacturing networks in a region as a part of a larger counterinsurgency operation."

Newsweek obtained a letter from from Mark Haselton, vice president of The Wexford Group — a subsidiary of defense contractor CACI International — informing his company's employees that McCoy had "died of wounds suffered during an operation in Afghanistan."

"There are no words to express the sorrow we all feel on this tragic loss," Haselton wrote in the letter. "I know each of us recognizes the hazards associated with the work that you do, especially on the JET. As we reflect on this terrible loss ... please never forget that the work that Chris was doing, and in fact the work that all of you do, has saved countless lives."

CACI International spokeswoman Jody Brown sent Task & Purpose a statement about McCoy's death.

"CACI honors the service and memory of our dedicated employee who was fatally injured while protecting our nation during a mission abroad," Brown said. "We at CACI remain steadfastly committed to our continued and ongoing support of our customers' critical national security missions. CACI extends our support to all those impacted by his ultimate sacrifice."

SEE ALSO: The number of armed contractors in Afghanistan has increased more than 65% since Trump took office

WATCH NEXT: Meet Afghanistan's Female Tactical Platoon

Guided-missile destroyer USS Stethem (DDG 63) Sailors participate in a memorial for the shipÕs namesake, Robert D. Stethem. Navy diver, Steelworker 2nd Class Robert Stethem, who was returning from an assignment in the Middle East, when he was taken hostage aboard TWA 847 commercial airliner. The flight was hijacked by terrorists, and Stethem was shot to death after being tortured by the terrorists on June 15, 1985. (U.S. Navy photo by Ensign Danny Ewing Jr.)

ATHENS (Reuters) - Greek police have arrested a 65-year-old Lebanese man suspected of involvement in the 1985 hijacking of a Trans World Airlines (TWA) plane in which a U.S. navy diver was killed.

A Greek police official said on Saturday the suspect had disembarked from a cruise ship on the island of Mykonos on Thursday and that his name came up as being wanted by German authorities.

Read More Show Less

The last time the world saw Marine veteran Austin Tice, he had been taken prisoner by armed men. It was unclear whether his captors were jihadists or allies of Syrian dictator Bashar al Assad who were disguised as Islamic radicals.

Blindfolded and nearly out of breath, Tice spoke in Arabic before breaking into English:"Oh Jesus. Oh Jesus."

That was from a video posted on YouTube on Sept. 26, 2012, several weeks after Tice went missing near Damascus, Syria, while working as a freelance journalist for McClatchy and the Washington Post.

Now that Tice has been held in captivity for more than seven years, reporters who have regular access to President Donald Trump need to start asking him how he is going to bring Tice home.

Read More Show Less

SAN DIEGO — John Timothy Earnest didn't hide his smirks as he sat in a San Diego courtroom on Thursday, watching surveillance video of Lori Gilbert-Kaye being shot down inside the lobby of a Poway synagogue.

Earnest also smiled as a synagogue congregant testified about running toward the shooter, screaming "I'm going to kill you!" and seeing the gunman "with a look of astonishment or fear" turn and run.

Earnest, 20, is facing one count of murder and three counts of attempted murder in the shootings at Chabad of Poway on April 27. He also faces an arson charge related to an Escondido mosque fire in March, when several people who were sleeping inside escaped unharmed.

Read More Show Less

Sometimes a joke just doesn't work.

For example, the Defense Visual Information Distribution Service tweeted and subsequently deleted a Gilbert Gottfried-esque misfire about the "Storm Area 51" movement.

On Friday DVIDSHUB tweeted a picture of a B-2 bomber on the flight line with a formation of airmen in front of it along with the caption: "The last thing #Millenials will see if they attempt the #area51raid today."

Read More Show Less

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkey is ready to act on its southern border with Syria, President Tayyip Erdogan said, after warning that it could take unilateral steps if the U.S. does not establish a "safe zone" in northeast Syria this month.

"Our preparations along our borders are complete," Erdogan told reporters in Istanbul on Saturday before departing to attend a U.N. General Assembly meeting.

Read More Show Less