DoD identifies three Marines killed in Afghanistan

news

The Pentagon has identified three Marines killed in Afghanistan on Monday as Cpl. Robert A. Hendriks, 25, of Locust Valley, New York; Sgt. Benjamin S. Hines, 31, of York, Pennsylvania; and Staff Sgt. Christopher K.A. Slutman, 43, of Newark, Delaware.

They were assigned to 25th Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division, Marine Forces Reserve when their convoy hit an improvised explosive device near Bagram Airfield.


Three other U.S. service members were wounded in the attack. An Afghan contractor who was initially reported as killed was later found alive with non-life threatening injuries.

Gina Harkins of Military.com first reported that the three deaths mark the Marine Corps' first combat casualties since March 19, 2016, when Staff Sgt. Louis Cardin was killed by an ISIS rocket attack in northern Iraq.

The three Marines arrived in Afghanistan on Oct. 2 as part of a rotation with Georgian troops to Afghanistan that is scheduled to last until the end of May, Marine Forces Reserve said in a statement.

"Our focus in the wake of this attack is to support the family, friends and loved ones of our fallen Marines," the Marine Forces Reserve statement says. "These Marines are honored for their extraordinary bravery and for their direct contribution to the defense of this nation. The circumstances surrounding the attack are still under investigation, with no specific details yet available."

Both Slutman and Hines served as 0311 Infantry Riflemen with a reserve unit in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Hendricks was an 0331 Infantry machine gunner, whose unit was based in Garden City, New York. They all deployed to Georgia from the end of July until Oct. 1 before arriving in Afghanistan.

Slutman was a 19-year veteran of the Kentland Volunteer Fire Department in Maryland, according to a post on the fire department's Faceook page. He also spent 15 years as a New York City firefighter and received an award in 2014 for saving an unconscious woman from a fire in the South Bronx, the New York Post reported on Tuesday.

He joined the Marine Corps in November 2005 and served as an 0311 Infantry Rifleman, according to Marine Forces Reserve. He had deployed to Iraq from May 2008 to April 2009; Mozambique from July to August 2010.

His awards include four Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medals, the National Defense Service Medal, the two Iraq Campaign Medals, the Global War on Terrorism Medal, the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal, two Armed Forces Reserve Medals, the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, a Navy Unit Commendation, four Certificates of Commendation, and a Letter of Appreciation.

Hines became a Marine in October 2006 and deployed to Iraq from September 2008 to April 2009. His awards include the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, four Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medals, the National Defense Service Medal, the Afghanistan Campaign Medal, two Iraq Campaign Medals, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, two Armed Forces Reserve Medals, a Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, a Navy Unit Commendation, and a Meritorious Mast.

Hendricks joined the Marines in October 2012. He was on his first deployment, first to Georgia and then Afghanistan. His awards include the Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Medal, and Armed Forces Reserve Medal.

All three Marines could receive additional awards as their service records are updated.

Navy Secretary Richard Spencer, a Marine veteran, first confirmed that three Marines had been killed in Afghanistan while testifying Tuesday before the Senate Armed Services Committee hearing.

Sen. James Inhofe, (R-Okla.), committee chairman, asked his fellow lawmakers to bow their heads and observe a moment of silence in honor of the fallen Marines' sacrifices.

"As we hold this hearing, approximately 41,000 Marines are forward-deployed or postured in more than 60 countries around the world – some in harm's way, as we found out all too well yesterday – all engaged, doing exactly what you expect of them," Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Robert Neller told lawmakers on Tuesday.

UPDATE: This story was updated on April 10 with more information about the three Marines.

SEE ALSO: Leaving Afghanistan: How the first 'Forever War' might finally end.

WATCH NEXT: Marines Fire 81 mm Mortars in Afghanistan

The top leaders of a Japan-based Marine Corps F/A-18D Hornet squadron were fired after an investigation into a deadly mid-air collision last December found that poor training and an "unprofessional command climate" contributed to the crash that left six Marines dead, officials announced on Monday.

Five Marines aboard a KC-130J Super Hercules and one Marine onboard an F/A-18D Hornet were killed in the Dec. 6, 2018 collision that took place about 200 miles off the Japanese coast. Another Marine aviator who was in the Hornet survived.

Read More Show Less

A former Army soldier was sentenced to 18 months in prison on Thursday for stealing weapons from Fort Bliss, along with other charges.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Air Force photo illustration/Airman 1st Class Corey Hook)

Editor's Note: This article by Richard Sisk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The Department of Veterans Affairs released an alarming report Friday showing that at least 60,000 veterans died by suicide between 2008 and 2017, with little sign that the crisis is abating despite suicide prevention being the VA's top priority.

Although the total population of veterans declined by 18% during that span of years, more than 6,000 veterans died by suicide annually, according to the VA's 2019 National Veteran Suicide Prevention Annual Report.

Read More Show Less
President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison at Pratt Industries, Sunday, Sept 22, 2019, in Wapakoneta, Ohio. (Associated Press/Evan Vucci)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Sunday that he discussed Democratic presidential hopeful Joe Biden and his son in a call with Ukraine's president.

Trump's statement to reporters about his July 25 call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky came as the Democratic leader of a key congressional panel said the pursuit of Trump's impeachment may be the "only remedy" to the situation.

Read More Show Less
"It's kind of like the equivalent of dropping a soda can into canyon and putting on a blindfold and going and finding it, because you can't just look down and see it," diver Jeff Goodreau said of finding the wreck.

The USS Eagle 56 was only five miles off the coast of Maine when it exploded.

The World War I-era patrol boat split in half, then slipped beneath the surface of the North Atlantic. The Eagle 56 had been carrying a crew of 62. Rescuers pulled 13 survivors from the water that day. It was April 23, 1945, just two weeks before the surrender of Nazi Germany.

The U.S. Navy classified the disaster as an accident, attributing the sinking to a blast in the boiler room. In 2001, that ruling was changed to reflect the sinking as a deliberate act of war, perpetuated by German submarine U-853, a u-boat belonging to Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine.

Still, despite the Navy's effort to clarify the circumstances surrounding the sinking, the Eagle 56 lingered as a mystery. The ship had sunk relatively close to shore, but efforts to locate the wreck were futile for decades. No one could find the Eagle 56, a small patrol ship that had come so close to making it back home.

Then, a group of friends and amateur divers decided to try to find the wreck in 2014. After years of fruitless dives and intensive research, New England-based Nomad Exploration Team successfully located the Eagle 56 in June 2018.

Business Insider spoke to two crew members — meat truck driver Jeff Goodreau and Massachusetts Department of Corrections officer Donald Ferrara — about their discovery.

Read More Show Less