Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
The Navy’s mission to escort US ships in the Strait of Hormuz sounds more intense than it really is
The Navy wants to assure you that is not dispatching an entire fleet to the Strait of Hormuz a part of efforts to escort American commercial ships and has no plans on initiating a sequel to World War II's Battle of the Atlantic with its Iranian adversaries.
"We will escort our ships as they come along, but we won't be there in great numbers, Vice Adm. Michael Gilday testified on Wednesday during his Senate confirmation hearing to become chief of naval operations. "The idea is for the regional partners to bear the lion's share of the burden."
In response to Iranian provocations against commercial shipping vessels in the region over the last several months, the U.S. military is working with partners in the Middle East to guarantee freedom of navigation in the Persian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz, Bab el-Mandeb Strait, and the Gulf of Oman.
The nascent mission is called Operation Sentinel.
Defense Secretary Mark Esper had previously told reporters on July 24 that the U.S. military "will be available" to escort U.S. merchant ships in the Strait of Hormuz.
"In some cases, that may be strictly an overhead capability," Esper said at a media availability. "It may mean that there is a U.S. Naval warship within proximity to deter that. I don't necessarily mean that's every U.S.-flagged ship going through the strait has a destroyer right behind it."
On Wednesday, Gilday said that not many U.S.-flagged or U.S.-owned ships transit the Strait of Hormuz.
"The coalition that we're building in the Arabian Gulf and specifically in the Strait of Hormuz is going to be a 80- or 90-percent coalition effort," Gilday said. "A much smaller U.S. effort is primarily focused on providing intelligence support to the rest of the coalition."
Since May, the Pentagon has sent additional ships, aircraft, and troops to the Middle East in response to intelligence that Iran had launched a coordinated campaign against U.S. forces and allies in the region.
The U.S. military has "taken great care not to be provocative against Iran" in light of attacks on foreign ships and the shooting down of U.S. drones by Iran and its proxies, Gilday said.
The additional U.S. forces that have been sent to the Middle East are meant to help de-escalate tensions with Iran so the State Department can succeed in bringing Iran back to negotiations about its nuclear program, he said.
If confirmed by the Senate, Gilday would replace Adm. John Richardson, who is expected to retire in September after serving as CNO for four tumultuous years that have included two deadly ship collisions, U.S. sailors captured by Iran, the continuing fallout of the Fat Leonard Scandal, and a growing number of scandals in the Navy's special warfare community, including a SEAL platoon being sent home from Iraq amid investigations into drinking and an alleged sexual assault.
Sen. Gary Peters (D-Mich.) asked Gilday how he would help Naval Special Warfare Command fix "what appears to be a troubling culture that may need attention."
Gilday said ethics are extremely important to him and it is important for sailors to live up to the Navy's values, especially in combat.
"I commit, senator, to getting a better understanding of those issues; to holding people accountable, if and where they need to be held accountable; to getting after the root causes and ensure if there is a problem with the culture or the community that that is addressed very quickly and very firmly," Gilday said.
Editor's Note: This article by Hope Hodge Seck originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.
In the wake of a heartwarming viral video that was featured everywhere from Good Morning America to the Daily Mail comes a disheartening revelation: The 84-year-old self-described Army nurse cranking out push-ups in her crisp Vietnam-era uniform might not be who she said she was.
Maggie DeSanti, allegedly a retired Army lieutenant colonel who rappeled out of helicopters in Vietnam, was captured in a video challenging a TSA agent to a push-up competition ahead of a flight to Washington, D.C., with the Arizona chapter of the organization Honor Flight on Oct. 16. The video soon was everywhere, and many who shared it, including Honor Flight, hailed DeSanti's toughness and spirit.
‘Nice girls don't join the military': New commander of Air Force refueling squadron proves her critics wrong
The summer before sixth grade, Cindy Dawson went to an air show with her father and was enamored by the flight maneuvers the pilots performed.
"I just thought that would be the coolest thing that anybody could ever do," she said, especially having already heard stories about her grandfather flying bombers during World War II with the Army Air Corps.
So by the first day of school, she had already decided what she wanted to be when she grew up.
We salute the 93-year-old WWII veteran who refuses to retire, and opened up a 'boozy bakery' instead
Peach schnapps, sex on the beach, and piña colada may be familiar drinks to anyone who's spent an afternoon (or a whole day) getting plastered on an ocean-side boardwalk, but they're also specialty desserts at Ray's Boozy Cupcakes, Etc, a bakery in Voorhees, New Jersey run by a 93-year-old World War II veteran named Ray Boutwell.
A former senior Coast Guard official has been accused of shoplifting from a Philadelphia sex shop.
Rear Adm. Francis "Stash" Pelkowski (Ret.) was accused of stealing a tester item from Kink Shoppe on Oct. 8, according to an Instagram post by the store that appeared online two days later. In the post, which included apparent security camera footage of the incident, a man can be seen looking at products on a counter before picking up an item and placing it in his pocket before turning and walking away.
The Instagram post identified the man as Pelkowski, and said it wished him "all the best in his retirement, a sincere thank you for your service, and extreme and utter disappointment in his personal morals."
SAN DIEGO —The Marines say changes in the way they train recruits and their notoriously hard-nosed drill instructors have led to fewer incidents of drill instructor misconduct, officials told the Union-Tribune.
Their statement about training followed an Oct. 5 Washington Post report revealing that more than 20 Marines at the San Diego boot camp have been disciplined for misconduct since 2017, including cases of physical attacks and racist and homophobic slurs. The story also was published in the Union-Tribune.