As talks of an all-out war with the United States rage on, 4.7 million patriotic “students and workers,” including more than a million women, have volunteered to join the North Korean military. At least, that’s what the North Korean state-controlled media said Sept. 28.
The country, which only boasts a population of around 25 million, does have one of the largest ground armies, according to a June report from Newsweek. It is also one of a handful of countries with compulsory military service, even for female citizens. Which sort of leads one to wonder how the Hermit Nation would have one-fifth of its undernourished populace suddenly, uh, volunteer for service.
Conditions in the North Korean military are thought to be abysmal, with men being forced to serve 10 years, and women serving 7. Rumors even suggest that they are given nothing to eat but a few potatoes a day.
In 2014, the State Department surmised that North Korean ground force hovers around 1.2 million troops, which would make its the army fourth-largest in the world after China, India, and the United States. But at any given time, the army is also believed to have 6 or 7 million reservists ready to jump into action at a moment’s notice.
If you’re slightly skeptical of Rodong Sinmum’s claims about millions of hardy North Koreans signing up for service, you’re probably pretty smart. The paper releases statements about millions of volunteers enlisting whenever tensions escalate, according to the Washington Post. In fact, earlier this summer, the state-run paper suggested 3.5 million people enlisted when United Nations sanctions on Pyongyang were increased.
As we all know, North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un’s words have historically been stronger than his actions, his military, and his nuclear arsenal.
We certainly hope that’s the case, as retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Rob Givens, a veteran of Korea service, recently told the Los Angeles Times that a war with the country could result in at least 20,000 deaths.
“Too many Americans have the view that it would be like the invasion of Iraq or Afghanistan, or like combat operations in Libya or Syria, but it wouldn’t remotely resemble that,’’ he said. “There is only one way that this war ends: with North Korea’s defeat — but at what cost?”
GREENBELT, Md. (Reuters) - A U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant accused of amassing a cache of weapons and plotting to attack Democratic politicians and journalists was ordered held for two weeks on Thursday while federal prosecutors consider charging him with more crimes.
An undated image of Hoda Muthana provided by her attorney, Hassan Shibly. (Associated Press)
Attorneys for the Constitutional Law Center for Muslims in America have filed a lawsuit against Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Attorney General William Barr and President Donald Trump asking the court to recognize the citizenship of an Alabama woman who left the U.S. to join ISIS and allow she and her young son to return to the United States.
U.S. soldiers surveil the area during a combined joint patrol in Manbij, Syria, November 1, 2018. Picture taken November 1, 2018. (U.S. Army/Zoe Garbarino/Handout via Reuters)
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will leave "a small peacekeeping group" of 200 American troops in Syria for a period of time after a U.S. pullout, the White House said on Thursday, as President Donald Trump pulled back from a complete withdrawal.
Construction crews staged material needed for the Santa Teresa Border Wall Replacement project near the Santa Teresa Port of Entry. (U.S. Customs and Border Patrol/Mani Albrecht)
With a legal fight challenge mounting from state governments over the Trump administration's use of a national emergency to construct at the U.S.-Mexico border, the president has kicked his push for the barrier into high gear.
On Wednesday, President Trump tweeted a time-lapse video of wall construction in New Mexico; the next day, he proclaimed that "THE WALL IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW"
But there's a big problem: The footage, which was filmed more than five months ago on Sep. 18, 2018, isn't really new wall construction at all, and certainly not part of the ongoing construction of "the wall" that Trump has been haggling with Congress over.
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton
A group comprised of former U.S. military veterans and security contractors who were detained in Haiti on weapons charges has been brought back to the United States and arrested upon landing, The Miami-Herald reported.
The men — five Americans, two Serbs, and one Haitian — were stopped at a Port-au-Prince police checkpoint on Sunday while riding in two vehicles without license plates, according to police. When questioned, the heavily-armed men allegedly told police they were on a "government mission" before being taken into custody.