The retired Marine general who was tapped by the Trump administration to resolve a dispute with Qatar and develop what's been dubbed an "Arab NATO" has resigned from his position, Task & Purpose has confirmed.
Gen. Anthony Zinni (Ret.) told Task & Purpose that he "just could not get the parties out there to engage in some sort of mediation process that we offered, and I felt that I couldn't do it much further." He previously told CBS that regional leaders in the dispute between Qatar, Saudi Arabia and other Arab states were unwilling to agree to a "viable mediation effort" to resolve the ongoing spat.
Besides the Qatar issue, Zinni had also been tapped by then-Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to spearhead the Middle East Strategic Alliance — a security agreement for Arab states similar in design to NATO. The retired four-star general told Task & Purpose his role was to "get the concept rolling" and since there were now personnel at the National Security Council and Defense Department working on it, it no longer needed his involvement.
Zinni took the job of special envoy for the State Department at the request of Mattis — a long-time friend and fellow four-star general — and then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. Both have since exited the administration; Tillerson was fired and replaced with Mike Pompeo in March 2018, while Mattis resigned in protest in December.
When asked whether his resignation was connected to Mattis' resignation, Zinni said that he "was dissapointed by what happened, but it didn't really affect [my] resignation."
"Jim Mattis is a great friend of mine and he was the right guy for the job," Zinni said, adding that, although Mattis first approached him to take the envoy role, Zinni had been getting "plenty of support from [Secretary of State] Mike Pompeo and [National Security Advisor] John Bolton."
A former commander of U.S. Central Command, Zinni had previously served as a special envoy during the Bush administration to work on Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations. He was offered the job of U.S. Ambassador to Iraq during the Obama administration but the offer was abruptly withdrawn without explanation.
Dan Caldwell, the executive director of Concerned Veterans for America, and Jon Soltz, the chairman for VoteVets on MSNBC's Morning Joe on March 18 discussing their campaign to see Congress end America's Forever Wars. (MSNBC/Youtube)
Two political veterans groups, one conservative, the other liberal, have spent millions fighting each other on various fronts, from Department of Veterans Affairs reform — what one group calls "choice" and the other calls "privatization" — to getting their pick of candidates into office.
But they've found common ground on at least one issue: It's time for Congress to have an open debate about ending the Forever Wars.
Up to 1,000 U.S. troops could remain in Syria — more than twice as many as originally announced, according to the Wall Street Journal.
President Donald Trump initially announced in December that he would withdraw all U.S. troops from Syria, but U.S. officials said in February that several hundred troops are expected to remain in Syria to create a "safe zone" along the border with Turkey and to man the al-Tanf garrison, which is located along a supply rote that would allow Iran to supply its proxies in Syria.
On Sunday, Dion Nissenbaum and Nancy Youssef of the Wall Street Journal first reported that the U.S. military is considering leaving as many as 1,000 troops in Syria to prevent Turkey from attacking the United States' Kurdish allies. So far, the United States and Turkey have failed to agree on how to secure the proposed safe zone.
U.S. Army Sgt. James R. Moore of Portland, Ore., a logitstics NCO with the 642nd Regional Support Group, shoots at the Fort Pickett rifle range as part of the Mortuary Affairs Exercise Aug. 15, 2018. (U.S. Army/Sgt. 1st Class Gary A. Witte, 642nd Regional Support Group)
White supremacists take part in a march the night before the 'Unite the Right' rally in Charlottesville, VA. (Associated Press photo)
Seven U.S. service members have reportedly been identified as members of Identity Evropa, a white nationalist group founded by a Marine veteran and tied to the 2017 Charlottesville rally, according to leaked online chat logs examined by HuffPost.