Rangers Reject DoD Claim Of ‘Friendly Fire’ In Afghanistan Deaths

news
U.S. Army Soldiers, assigned to Delta Company, 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, assault a town during a live-fire exercise at Fort Irwin, Calif., Feb, 24, 2015.
Photo via DoD

On Friday, the Department of Defense announced a 15-6 investigation into the deaths of two Army Rangers killed during a grueling three-hour firefight in the eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan, citing “friendly fire” as a possible cause of death, according to a statement released by U.S. Forces-Afghanistan.


But eyewitnesses say otherwise. More than a dozen Rangers assigned to a special operations task force with direct knowledge of the engagement told Task & Purpose that the claim was “100% false.”

“This is tainting the memory of the fallen with unneeded controversy,” one service member told Task & Purpose.

While the Pentagon often initiates investigations whenever U.S. troops are killed in combat, a Friday statement from U.S. Forces-Afghanistan in Kabul specified that “there is a possibility of friendly fire in this case.”

[embed][/embed]

On Friday, Pentagon spokesman Capt. Jeff Davis said that if friendly fire was a factor in the deaths of the two Rangers, it was likely unintentional, ruling out the possibility that the Rangers were killed in a “green-on-blue” attack by Afghan commandos whom the Rangers were attached to.

But Rangers assigned to a special operations task force say the two soldiers were killed by ISIS fighters. “There was no friendly fire. They were killed while engaged with enemy fighters in direct combat,” one Ranger told Task & Purpose under the condition of anonymity, “We took casualties. We killed a bunch of dudes.”

The Rangers killed were identified by the Pentagon as Sgt. Joshua P. Rodgers, 22, and Sgt. Cameron H. Thomas, 23.

The primary target of the raid was Abdul Hasib, the self-described “Emir” of the ISIS faction who "exercised command and control over operations involving ISIS-K and their connections with the larger ISIS network,” according to Davis.

Around 10:30 pm local time, Rangers were inserted into the Achin district of the Nangarhar province alongside Afghan Special Security Forces. The firefight took place less than a mile from where the U.S. Air Force dropped the 21,600-pound Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb on April 13.

In an account of the firefight released earlier on Monday, U.S. Forces-Afghanistan’s said the joint U.S.-Afghan force “came under intense fire from multiple directions and well-prepared fighting positions” before successfully killing several ISIS-K leaders and approximately 35 fighters.

As of Friday, it was unclear whether Hasib was killed during the night raid.

Task & Purpose reached out to the 75th Ranger Regiment for comment but did not receive a response as of publication

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.

After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.

But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.

Read More Show Less

That sound you're hearing is Army senior leaders exhaling a sigh of relief, because the Army has surpassed its recruiting goal for the year.

After failing to meet recruiting goals in 2018, the Army put the pedal to the metal and "did some soul searching," said Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, to ensure that they'd meet their 2019 goal. It must have paid off — the service announced on Tuesday that more than 68,000 recruits have signed on as active-duty soldiers, and more soldiers have stuck around than they expected.

Read More Show Less

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein transformed into the Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files" on Tuesday when explaining why UFO enthusiasts should avoid storming the mythical Area 51 installation in Nevada.

"All joking aside, we're taking it very seriously," Goldfein told reporters during the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. "Our nation has secrets, and those secrets deserve to be protected. The people deserve to have our nation's secrets protected."

Read More Show Less
Paul Szoldra/Task & Purpose

SAN DIEGO — A San Diego-based Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in a closely watched war crimes trial this summer has filed a lawsuit against two of his former attorneys and a military legal defense nonprofit, according to a complaint filed in federal court in Texas on Friday.

Read More Show Less

NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland — The Air Force is reviewing whether some airmen's valor awards deserve to be upgraded to the Medal of Honor, Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said on Tuesday.

Goldfein revealed that several airmen are being considered for the nation's highest military award during a press conference at the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. He declined to say exactly who could receive the Medal of Honor, pending the outcome of the review process.

Read More Show Less