The brigadier general in charge of the California Army National Guard while reenlistment bonuses were improperly disbursed also took no action when alerted that one of the Guard’s recruiters pleaded no contest to two felony charges of unlawful sex with a minor girl in 2008.
According to a 2011 report by The Sacramento Bee, retired Brig. Gen. Louis J. Antonetti, then commander of the Army National Guard, was copied on a report written by military police investigators detailing the crimes committed by Sgt. Ruben Fuentesramos against a 17-year-old girl. In July 2008, Fuentesramos was sentenced to three years of probation and required to register as a sex offender.
This type of crime would typically trigger an administrative removal from the Guard, if not a court-martial, according to The Sacramento Bee. Instead, Fuentesramos remained in the Guard as a recruiter. In 2011, he was finally discharged in an administrative action.
It is unclear whether Antonetti and other senior leaders deliberately covered up for Fuentesramos or if he just slipped through the cracks. However, it demonstrates a pattern of mismanagement and corruption that came to a head in 2010 when a Guard auditor turned whistleblower came forward, claiming that as much as $100 million had been illegally disbursed to soldiers.
Capt. Ronald S. Clark, a federal auditor who oversaw the funds improperly spent by the California Guard in the aftermath, told the Sacramento Bee in 2010 that he thought it was impossible so much money could be authorized without senior leadership taking notice. Clark blamed many of the problems on Antonetti, who, as the new commander in 2007, released a memo detailing "operation overdrive" meant to improve enlistment numbers.
"I cannot overemphasize the importance of this effort," Antonetti wrote in the memo. "I am counting on leaders at every level to commit themselves fully."
Antonetti retired just days before the scandal around bonuses broke. He faced no disciplinary charges for the mismanagement of $100 million illegally paid out to soldiers, or for allowing a sex offender to remain in the Guard’s ranks.
Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.
Former President George W. Bush is calling for an end to the partial government shutdown, which is about to hit the one-month mark and is currently the longest shutdown in US history.
In an appeal made on Instagram, the 43rd president called on "leaders on both sides to put politics aside, come together, and end this shutdown." The caption was posted with an image of him and former First Lady Laura Bush giving pizza to their Secret Service detail.
Staff Sgt. Daniel Christopher Evans was arrested on Jan. 29, 2018. (Photo courtesy of Wilmington Police Department, North Carolina.)
A special operations Marine is due in court on March 7 after being arrested last year for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend, Task & Purpose has learned.
Staff Sgt. Daniel Christopher Evans was arrested and charged with assault inflicting serious injury on July 29, 2018, according to Jennifer Dandron, a spokeswoman for police in Wilmington, North Carolina. Evans is currently assigned as a Critical Skills Operator with the 2nd Marine Raider Battalion at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, according to the Marine Corps Personnel Locator.
U.S. Army 1st Lt. Elyse Ping Medvigy conducts a call-for-fire during an artillery shoot south of Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, Aug. 22, 2014. Medvigy, a fire support officer assigned to the 4th Infantry Division's Company D, 1st Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, is the first female company fire support officer to serve in an infantry brigade combat team supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Whitney Houston (Photo by U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Whitney Houston)
Following Trump's inauguration, some supporters of ground combat integration assumed he would quickly move to reinstate a ban on women in jobs like the infantry. When this did not happen, advocates breathed a collective sigh of relief, and hundreds of qualified women charted a course in history by entering the newly opened occupational fields.
So earlier this week when the Wall Street Journal published an editorial against women in ground combat by conservative political commentator Heather Mac Donald, the inclination of many ground combat integration supporters was to dismiss it outright. But given Trump's proclivity to make knee jerk policy decisions in response to falling approval ratings and the court's tradition of deference to the military when it comes to policies affecting good order and discipline, it would be unwise to assume the 2016 lifting of the ban on women in ground combat is a done deal.
R. Lee Ermey was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery on Friday.
Best known for his iconic role as the Marine Corps drill instructor Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in the war drama Full Metal Jacket, Ermey died April 15, 2018 at age 74 due to complications from pneumonia, Task & Purpose previously reported.