Navy SEAL under investigation for allegedly manipulating (and hitting on) the widow of the Green Beret he helped kill

news

Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar

(U.S. Army photo)

A Navy SEAL sentenced to one year in prison for the death of Army Special Forces Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar is under investigation for allegedly flirting with Melgar's widow while using a false name and trying to persuade her that he and another SEAL accused of killing her husband were "really good guys," according to the Washington Post.


Navy Chief Special Warfare Operator Adam Matthews pleaded guilty last month to hazing, assault consummated by battery, unlawful entry, obstruction of justice, and conspiracy to commit assault, in connection for his role in Melgar's death in Mali.

On June 4, 2017, Matthews, three other U.S. service members, a British special operator, and a Malian security guard broke into Melgar's room with the intent of binding the Green Beret's wrists and ankles and making a video of the security guard sexually assaulting him.

Melgar died from asphyxiation after Navy Special Operations Chief Tony DeDolph placed him in a choke hold.

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service is investigating allegations that Matthews spoke to Melgar's widow Michelle about the case when the two met this past January at the Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade Show in Las Vegas, the Washington Post's Lamothe reported on Wednesday.

In court documents obtained by the Washington Post, witnesses told investigators that Matthews was trying to be "flirtatious" and "cozy" with Michelle Melgar but he did not attempt to touch or kiss her.

Former Special Forces Chief Warrant Officer 3 J.P. Cervantes, a Melgar family spokesman, first described the alleged incident in a May 11 Instagram post that alleged Matthews was attending a costume party dressed as Rambo when he approached Michelle Melgar using the false name "Mike."

"Once he realized who she was, he was trying to vouch for the '2 guys' of the team who killed Logan, saying they are his best friends, are really good guys, and she should try to help them," Cervantes wrote. "Then saying: 'If you would just sit down and have a conversation with the two guys who did this, you would love them. They're really not bad people. This has ruined their lives and careers."

Matthews allegedly texted Michelle the next day asking if he could take a nap in her room, but she refused, Cervantes wrote. She only learned who Matthews really was when she later saw pictures of the service members accused of killing her husband.

The Daily Beast's Kevin Maurer first reported on Tuesday about Matthews' alleged contact with Michelle Melgar.

Navy spokeswoman Elizabeth Baker declined to comment on the matter on Wednesday, citing an "ongoing investigation."

Matthews' attorney Grover Baxley told Task & Purpose that his client "unintentionally met briefly" with Michelle Melgar when they both attended SHOT Show.

"This meeting was an innocent coincidence with zero romantic intent by either individual," Baxley said in an email. "Following his court-martial, SOC Matthews and Mrs. Melgar discussed their chance meeting with each other, and neither bear any ill will towards the other from this situation.

"In addition, I have discussed this situation at length with the prosecution, and I do not anticipate any disciplinary action being taken against SOC Matthews for this unintentional meeting."

SEE ALSO: 'You Are A Disgrace To Your Purple Heart' — Green Beret's Mother Rejects Navy SEAL's Apology For Killing Her Son

WATCH NEXT: 2017 U.S. Navy SEAL Training - Physical Screening Test

U.S. Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs Robert C. O'Brien arrives to the district court, during the second day of ASAP Rocky's trial, in Stockholm, Sweden August 1, 2019. (Reuters/TT News Agency/Fredrik Persson)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Wednesday named U.S. hostage negotiator Robert O'Brien as his choice to replace John Bolton as his national security adviser, making him the fourth person to hold the post in the Trump administration.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

QUANTICO MARINE CORPS BASE, Virginia -- Textron Systems is working with the Navy to turn a mine-sweeping unmanned surface vessel designed to work with Littoral Combat Ships into a mine-hunting craft armed with Hellfire missiles and a .50-caliber machine gun.

Textron displayed the proof-of-concept, surface-warfare mission package designed for the Common Unmanned Surface Vehicle (CUSV) at Modern Day Marine 2019.

"It's a huge capability," Wayne Prender, senior vice president for Applied Technologies and Advanced Programs at Textron Systems, told Military.com on Tuesday.

Read More Show Less
Joel Marrable (Laquna Ross via CNN)

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs put on leave an Atlanta-based administrator and reassigned the region's chief medical officer and seven other staff members while it investigates the treatment of a veteran under its care.

Joel Marrable's daughter discovered more than 100 ant bites on her father when she visited him in early September.

The daughter, Laquna Ross, told Channel 2 Action News: "His room had ants, the ceiling, the walls, the beds. They were everywhere. The staff member says to me, 'When we walked in here, we thought Mr. Marrable was dead. We thought he wasn't even alive, because the ants were all over him.'"

Read More Show Less
he amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8) returns to homeport at Naval Base San Diego on February 25, 2015. (U.S. Navy/ Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Corwin Colbert)

SAN DIEGO, Calif. — A former U.S. Navy sailor was sentenced to 20 years in prison Monday for having sexual contact with a 14-year-old Oceanside girl in 2017, federal prosecutors in San Diego said in a statement.

Read More Show Less

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.

After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.

But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.

Read More Show Less