Trump to Iran: If you attack us, we'll hit the same number of targets as US hostages you took in 1979

news

President Donald Trump issued an unusual warning on Saturday that if Iran launches any reprisal attacks for the death of Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani, the U.S. military is prepared to strike 52 Iranian targets — one for each of the hostages that the Iranians held for more than a year after seizing the U.S. embassy in Tehran in 1979.


The potential targets include some that are "very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture," the president said in a series of three tweets on Saturday evening.

"Those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD," the president tweeted. "The USA wants no more threats!"

Shortly after the president's tweets, the top U.S. military spokesman in Iraq confirmed that Baghdad's Green Zone and Balad Air Base had come under rocket attacks on Saturday. No U.S. service members were injured.

"We have increased security and defensive measures at the Iraqi bases that host anti-ISIS coalition troops," Army Col. Myles Caggins said in a statement. "Our command places protection of coalition personnel and security partners as the top priority; we remain vigilant and resolute."

The former head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps's elite Quds Force, Soleimani was killed on Friday by a U.S. airstrike near Baghdad International Airport. The Pentagon blames Soleimani for the deaths of more than 600 troops in Iraq from 2003 to 2011.

So far, the U.S. government has not confirmed that Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, leader of Kata'ib Hezbollah and deputy commander of the commander of the Popular Mobilization Forces, was also killed in Friday's strike.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo tweeted on Saturday that Kata'ib Hizballah is urging Iraqi security forces to abandon their posts at the U.S. embassy in Baghdad and other installations where they work with U.S. personnel.

Roughly 100 Marines recently arrived at the embassy following a Dec. 31 attack by Iranian proxies. Thousands of paratroopers with the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division are also headed to Kuwait in case they are needed.

Army Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, claimed recently that the U.S. military has so much combat power at the embassy now that anyone who tries to attack it will "run into a buzz saw."


A Syrian commando-in-training applies the safety on his rifle during basic rifle marksmanship training in Syria, July 20, 2019. (U.S. Army/Spc. Alec Dionne)

The U.S. government failed to effectively account for nearly $715.8 million in weapons and equipment allocated to Syrian partners as part of the multinational counter-ISIS fight, according to a new report from the Defense Department inspector general.

Read More
REUTERS/Scott Audette/File Photo

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii), has long been seen as an apologist for Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad, whom she met during a secret trip to Damascus in January 2017.

Most recently, a video was posted on Twitter shows Gabbard evading a question about whether Assad is a war criminal.

Since Gabbard is the only actively serving member of the military who is running for president — she is a major in the Hawaii Army National Guard — Task & Purpose sought to clarify whether she believes Assad has used chlorine gas and chemical weapons to kill his own people.

Read More
Barrett's bolt-action Multi-Role Adaptive Design (MRAD) system (Courtesy photo)

The Army is almost doubling its purchase of new bolt-action Precision Sniper Rifles as its primary anti-personnel sniper system of choice, according to budget documents.

Read More
The GAU-5A Aircrew Self Defense Weapon (U.S. Air Force photo)

Editor's Note: This article by Matthew Cox originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

Air Force gunsmiths recently completed delivery of a new M4-style carbine designed to break down small enough to fit under most pilot ejection seats.

Read More
(Navy photo / Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Jess Lewis)

NEWPORT -- The Office of Naval Inspector General has cleared former Naval War College president Rear Adm. Jeffrey A. Harley of most of the allegations of misconduct claimed to have occurred after he took command of the 136-year-old school in July 2016, The Providence Journal has learned.

Harley, in one of a series of interviews with the The Journal, called the findings "deeply gratifying." He said many of the most sensational allegations -- "offers of 'free hugs' and games of Twister in his office" -- reflected a misunderstanding of his sense of humor, which he describes as "quirky," but which he says was intended to ease tensions in what can be a stressful environment.

The allegations, reported last year by the Associated Press, prompted a national controversy that led to Harley leaving the college presidency after almost three years in office.

Read More