Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Air Force Fires Commander Of Security Unit That Lost Grenades, Machine Gun
The commander of the Air Force security unit that lost a machine gun and grenades has been fired, officials announced on Wednesday.
- Col. Jason Beers was relieved on Wednesday as commander of the 91st Security Forces Group at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota, “due to a loss of trust and confidence after a series of events under the scope of his leadership, including a recent loss of ammunition and weapons,” a 5th Bomb Wing news release says.
- On May 1, the security forces unit lost a box of 40mm MK 19 grenades, which fell off the back of a military vehicle. Then, on May 16, an M240 machine gun turned up missing during a standard inventory check.
- Following the two incidents, Global Strike Command, which is in charge of all of the Air Force’s nuclear missiles and bombers, ordered a command-wide weapons inventory for all airmen, not just security forces.
- The 91st Security Forces group is tasked with safeguarding 150 Minuteman III nuclear missiles and launch facilities and 15 missile alert facilities, according to the 5th Bomb Wing.
So far, neither the missing machine gun nor the grenades have been found, said wing spokesman Lt. Col. Jamie Humphries, who added there is still a $5,000 reward for the missing grenades. Anyone with pertinent information regarding the missing rounds should contact Air Force Office of Special Investigations at (701)-723-7909.
New London — Retired four-star general John Kelly said that as President Donald Trump's chief of staff, he pushed back against the proposal to deploy U.S. troops to the southern border, arguing at the time that active-duty U.S. military personnel typically don't deploy or operate domestically.
"We don't like it," Kelly said in remarks at the Coast Guard Academy on Thursday night. "We see that as someone else's job meaning law enforcement."
These 'kamikaze' drones are believed to be the culprits of the attacks on 2 Saudi oil fields. Here's what we know about them
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
Yemen's Houthi rebel group, part of a regional network of militants backed by Iran, claims to be behind the drone strikes on two Saudi oil facilities that have the potential to disrupt global oil supplies.
A report from the United Nations Security Council published in January suggests that Houthi forces have obtained more powerful drone weaponry than what was previously available to them, and that the newer drones have the capability to travel greater distances and inflict more harm.
The U.S. Air Force has selected two companies to make an extreme cold-weather boot for pilots as part of a long-term effort to better protect aviators from frostbite in emergencies.
In August the service awarded a contract worth up to $4.75 million to be split between Propel LLC and the Belleville Boot Company for boots designed keep pilots' feet warm in temperatures as low as -20 Fahrenheit without the bulk of existing extreme cold weather boots, according to Debra McLean, acquisition program manager for Clothing & Textiles Domain at Air Force Life Cycle Management Command's Agile Combat Support/Human Systems Division.
DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran rejected accusations by the United States that it was behind attacks on Saudi oil plants that risk disrupting world energy supplies and warned on Sunday that U.S. bases and aircraft carriers in the region were in range of its missiles.
Yemen's Houthi group claimed responsibility for Saturday's attacks that knocked out more than half of Saudi oil output or more than 5% of global supply, but U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the assault was the work of Iran, a Houthi ally.
Nearly a decade after he allegedly murdered an unarmed Afghan civilian during a 2010 deployment, the case of Army Maj. Matthew Golsteyn is finally going to trial.