Trump confirms that the US was 10 minutes away from striking Iran before he called off the attack

news

President Donald Trump

(Associated Press/Alex Brandon)

President Donald Trump confirmed in a series of tweets on Friday morning that the U.S. was minutes away from striking three Iranian targets on Thursday night before he called off the attack


The U.S. was "cocked & loaded" to retaliate against Iran's shoot-down of a Navy RQ-4 Global Hawk — a multi-million dollar surveillance drone — on Wednesday night, Trump tweeted.

The unmanned aerial vehicle was shot down over international waters, the Pentagon maintained, though Iran claimed it was shot down in their airspace.

Trump said that he asked how many people would die in the retaliatory strike, to which a general answered 150.

"10 minutes before the strike I stopped it, not proportionate to shooting down an unmanned drone," Trump tweeted. "I am in no hurry, our Military is rebuilt, new, and ready to go, by far the best in the world."

It's unclear who the general is that the president was referring to.

Trump also said that more sanctions were added to Iran on Thursday night, though none were announced by the Treasury Department at the time of publication.

The New York Times reported Trump's reversal of course on Thursday night, saying that as late as 7 p.m., "military and diplomatic officials were expecting a strike."

"Planes were in the air and ships were in position, but no missiles had been fired when word came to stand down," the Times reported.

The escalation comes at an uncertain time for the Defense Department. Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan on Tuesday announced that he'd be withdrawing his nomination to be the permanent head of the Pentagon.

Trump had named Army Secretary Mark Esper as the new acting secretary, though he doesn't start the job until Monday.

Washington was holding its breath for much of the day on Thursday as key lawmakers gathered with the president, Esper, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and Trump's national security adviser John Bolton at the White House to discuss the situation.

Trump had previously addressed the downing of the drone while meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, telling reporters he found it "hard to believe that it was intentional," and was probably done by someone "loose and stupid" in Iran.

The New York Times reported that Bolton, Pompeo, and CIA Director Gina Haspel "favored a military response" to Iran; Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) appeared to be pushing for military action as well, tweeting on Thursday that there are "seldom good choices" in the Middle East, though "'inaction' in the face of evil and provocation ultimately has its own cost."

Democrats, however, demanded Congressional oversight; Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said there was concern that Trump would "bumble into a war."

For the time being, things seem to have at least taken a pause; Trump said he is "in no hurry." But if there's anything we've learned in the last few years, it's that things can change at the drop of a hat — or, rather, the send of a tweet.

SEE ALSO: As The US Sends 1,000 More Troops To Middle East, The Pentagon Is A Rudderless Ship Caught In A Storm

WATCH NEXT: Smoke Trail From Shot Down Global Hawk

Two U.S. troops were killed in Afghanistan on Wednesday in a helicopter crash, military officials have announced.

Read More Show Less
Chief Master Sgt. Jason Morehouse. (U.S. Air Force photo)

Editor's Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk originally appeared onMilitary.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The command chief of the 20th Fighter Wing at Shaw Air Force Base, South Carolina, was removed from his position last month after his chain of command received evidence he disrespected his subordinates.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: The following is an op-ed. The opinions expressed are those of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Task & Purpose.

The "suck it up and drive on" mentality permeated our years in the U.S. military and often led us to delay getting both physical and mental health care. As veterans, we now understand that engaging in effective care enables us not just to survive but to thrive. Crucially, the path to mental wellness, like any serious journey, isn't accomplished in a day — and just because you need additional or recurring mental health care doesn't mean your initial treatment failed.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Radio Free Europe/Radio Free Liberty.

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has called on the security alliance's allies to maintain and strengthen their "unity," saying the organization is "the only guarantor of European and transatlantic security."

Stoltenberg told reporters on November 19 that NATO "has only grown stronger over the last 70 years" despite "differences" among the allies on issues such as trade, climate, the Iran nuclear deal, and the situation in northeastern Syria.

He was speaking at the alliance's headquarters in Brussels on the eve of a NATO foreign ministers meeting aimed at finalizing preparations for next month's summit in London.

Read More Show Less
An aerial view of the Pentagon building in Washington, June 15, 2005. (Reuters/Jason Reed JIR/CN)

WASHINGTON — More than $35 million of the roughly $400 million in aid to Ukraine that President Donald Trump delayed, sparking the impeachment inquiry, has not been released to the country, according to a Pentagon spending document obtained by the Los Angeles Times.

Instead, the defense funding for Ukraine remains in U.S. accounts, according to the document. It's not clear why the money hasn't been released, and members of Congress are demanding answers.

Read More Show Less