Navy SEALs Kill 7 Al Qaeda Militants In Yemen Raid

news
Photo via DoD

U.S. Navy SEALs killed seven militants in an early morning raid on a compound associated with al Qaeda Yemen branch in the country’s central Marib governorate, U.S. Central Command said in a statement Tuesday.


The raid was the first acknowledged by CENTCOM in the country since a Navy SEAL was killed in a counter-terrorism operation carried out after President Donald Trump took office in January.

The seven al-Qaeda terrorists were reportedly killed through “a combination of small arms fire and precision airstrikes,” according to CENTCOM. According to the Washington Post, the SEALs were supported by “an array of special operations forces.”

Pentagon spokesman Capt. Jeff Davis told Fox News that an AC-130 gunship was called in to provide air support after SEALs engaged the militants in a firefight.

A defense official characterized the operation as an “intelligence-gathering raid,” Reuters reports, carried out with the knowledge and authorization of the Yemeni government and targeting several buildings thought to be a “headquarters” for the terror network’s Yemen offshoot.

“Raids such as this provide insight into AQAP’s disposition, capabilities and intentions, which allow us to continue to pursue, disrupt, and degrade AQAP,” CENTCOM said in a statement.

The New York Times reports that the raid “was intended to seize potentially important information from the compound — typically electronic devices such as computers, hard drives and cellphones — and was not an attempt to kill or capture a particular individual,” according to CENTCOM spokesman Col. John Thomas.

Davis told Fox News that the raid was the "deepest" U.S. special operators had ventured into the country.

The January raid was the first military operation authorized by President Trump. In addition to the fallen SEAL, the raid also left as many as 25 civilians dead. As of this writing, there is no publically available information regarding civilian casualties incurred during the May 23 operation.

While Tuesday’s raid is certainly the first in Yemen acknowledged since that January mission, it’s certainly not the only one that CENTCOM has conducted. According to the Times, special operators have carried out “site exploration” missions in the country with similar intelligence-gathering objectives as the May 23 operation.

Tuesday’s raid was not authorized by President Trump, but rather by CENTCOM chief Gen. Joseph Votel, according to Fox News.

Casperassets.rbl.ms

Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.

Take $75 off a Casper Mattress and $150 off a Wave Mattress with code TASKANDPURPOSE

And no one knows that better than military service members and we have the pictures to prove it.

Read More Show Less
Veterans Day at the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery, 11 November, 2018. Photo: Erich Backes/U.S. Army

In typical veteran community fashion, hundreds of people showed up to two separate funerals last week for veterans who otherwise would have been buried alone.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Marine Corps/Lance Cpl. Darien J. Bjorndal)

KABUL (Reuters) - The Taliban killed more than 100 members of the Afghan security forces inside a military compound in central Maidan Wardak province on Monday, a senior defense official said.

Read More Show Less
Coast Guard cutter Bertholf on a counterdrug patrol in the eastern Pacific Ocean, March 11, 2018. (U.S. Coast Guard/Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael Trees

U.S. Coast Guard cutter Bertholf left California on January 20 for a months-long mission in the Pacific to support U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, the largest of the U.S. military's geographic combatant commands.

Coast Guardsmen aboard the Bertholf left Alameda on the 30th day of what is now the longest government shutdown in U.S. history. They left a few days after not getting their first paycheck since that shutdown started and without knowing when the next will come.

Read More Show Less
Plebes in the U.S. Naval Academy Class of 2015 march into Bancroft Hall following noon meal formation in Tecumseh Court. (U.S. Navy)

Leaking pipes. Moldering walls. Condemned offices and balconies. Plumbing that can't handle its load and a stormwater system dumping unfiltered rainwater into the Severn River.

These aren't the issues of a long-abandoned factory. They describe the current condition of the Naval Academy.

Read More Show Less