Another year is coming to a close. With it comes another opportunity to look back on impactful stories and significant news events that captured the interest of the American military and veterans community. Some of these moments, like Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February, shocked the world, while others stupefied and astounded, like the time Russian soldiers became trapped inside an elevator during said invasion.
We reported in-depth investigations, from Task & Purpose’s long-form story on the toxic climate within the Air Force’s Wounded Warrior Program to our retrospective on the Afghanistan withdrawal and how veterans from HKIA have coped in the year since the Taliban took control of the country.
We also highlighted the lighter moments, like when an aircrew landed to pick up a motorcycle in Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts; or when a soldier decided to rip open a “mystery box” during the Best Ranger Competition because it was simply easier to channel his inner grizzly bear than to follow instructions.
Join us in taking a look back at some of our favorite Task & Purpose stories over the past year:
The latest on Task & Purpose
- All alone, together: The emotional essence of Christmas at war
- ‘We make it fun’ — Inside an Air Force Christmas at 30,000 feet over war-torn Iraq
- Christmas in, Christmas out: A holiday deployment story
- The complicated truth about the famous ‘Christmas Truce’ of World War I
- What it’s like to spend Christmas in combat, according to US military veterans
Want to write for Task & Purpose? Click here.