Pompeo says Suleimani's killing makes the world a 'safer place' as the State Department tells Americans to flee Iraq

news
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo delivers a statement on Iraq and Syria, at President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago property, Sunday, Dec. 29, 2019, in Palm Beach, Fla. (Associated Press/ Evan Vucci)

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Friday declared the world "a much safer place" following the death of top Iranian general Qassim Suleimani — just as the State Department urged Americans in Iraq to leave the country immediately out of fear of retaliation from Iran.


Suleimani — the revered head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps and Tehran's top shadow commander in Iraq — was killed by U.S. air strike at Baghdad International Airport on Friday morning.

"The world is a much safer place today," Pompeo told reporters on Friday. "And I can assure you that Americans in the region are much safer today after the demise" of Suleimani.

Pompeo may believe the world is objectively safer, but his State Department isn't taking any chances.

"Due to heightened tensions in Iraq and the region, the U.S. Embassy urges American citizens to heed the January 2020 Travel Advisory and depart Iraq immediately," the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad said in a Friday security alert."U.S. citizens should depart via airline while possible, and failing that, to other countries via land."

"Due to Iranian-backed militia attacks at the U.S. Embassy compound, all consular operations are suspended," the State Department added in an additional alert. "U.S. citizens should not approach the Embassy."

Iran has threatened retaliation over the strike against Suleimani, which the Pentagon characterized as a "decisive defensive action to protect U.S. personnel abroad" in the aftermath of the New Year's Eve assault on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad.

Suleimani "has killed or badly wounded thousands of Americans over an extended period of time, and was plotting to kill many more," President Donald Trump tweeted on Friday. "He should have been taken out many years ago!"

Roughly a dozen U.S. troops showing concussion-related symptoms are being medically evacuated from Al-Asad Air Base in Iraq to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, a defense official told Task & Purpose on Tuesday.

Read More

In a Galaxy — err, I mean, on a military base far, far away, soldiers are standing in solidarity with galactic freedom fighters.

Sitting at the top of an Army press release from March 2019, regarding the East Africa Response Force's deployment to Gabon, the photo seems, at first glance, just like any other: Soldiers on the move.

But if you look closer at the top right, you'll find something spectacular: A Rebel Alliance flag.

Read More
The maiden flight of the first CMV-22B Osprey took place in Amarillo, Texas (Courtesy photo)

The first of the CMV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft the Navy plans on adopting as its carrier onboard delivery (COD) aircraft of choice has successfully completed its first flight operations, manufacturer Boeing announced on Tuesday.

Read More
A soldier plugs his ears during a live fire mission at Yakima Training Center. Photo: Capt. Leslie Reed/U.S. Army

Another 300 lawsuits against 3M flooded federal courts this month as more military veterans accuse the behemoth manufacturer of knowingly making defective earplugs that caused vets to lose hearing during combat in Iraq or Afghanistan or while training on U.S. military bases.

On another front, 3M also is fighting lawsuits related to a class of chemicals known as PFAS, with the state of Michigan filing a lawsuit last week against the Maplewood-based company.

To date, nearly 2,000 U.S. veterans from Minnesota to California and Texas have filed more than 1,000 lawsuits.

Read More

GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea said on Tuesday it was no longer bound by commitments to halt nuclear and missile testing, blaming the United States' failure to meet a year-end deadline for nuclear talks and "brutal and inhumane" U.S. sanctions.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un set an end-December deadline for denuclearization talks with the United States and White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien said at the time the United States had opened channels of communication.

O'Brien said then he hoped Kim would follow through on denuclearization commitments he made at summits with U.S. President Donald Trump.

Read More